Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ravioli

Questions Part II

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

I' ve been away for a while, so somebody fill me in please. Is there a rift between surfers and fisherman? Let's play nice play nice please.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2011/nov/23/no-headline---jc_spt_jup_surfn_23/

Top surfers vie at Classic

By Mike English

New Smyrna Beach's Jeremy Johnston surfed his way through a weekend of big waves and came up a double winner Sunday afternoon at the Juno Beach Pier.

Over three days, Johnston surfed his way to the men's pro division championship at the 11th annual Jupiter Fall Classic surfing contest and the Western Atlantic Pro Surfing Series championship

The three-day Classic drew nearly 200 competitors and several hundred spectators to the south side of the Pier.

The competition was "definitely" the best the Classic has seen, said Classic co-founder Mike Bloom.

"It was our biggest turnout ever. This is the best venue in Palm Beach County," he said. "This is the best quality of surfers we've ever had.

"It's just unbelievable the way it went."

For the third year, the Classic was the "championship" finale for the Western Atlantic series, which Bloom founded.

There were 10 events in the series, which started in April. Coming into the Classic, Johnson was 481 points ahead of defending champion Michael Dunphy.

"The water was really nice and warm," Johnston said. "Where I live, two hours north of here, the water's pretty cold."

The waves were good too.

"This time of year, the winds are out of the northeast and it makes the waves better," he said.

For Johnston, it was a little tougher week than most knew. His grandfather died last Thursday.

"But it was cool, I dedicated this to him," said Johnston, who was second in the series and at the Classic to Dunphy last year. Johnston won the men's pro division two years ago.

Former Jupiter resident Ryan Helm didn't make the men's pro finals, but did win the master's division and was first in a stand-up, paddle-board exhibition race.

"The waves were a little bit funky but they were ride-able waves," said Helm, who now runs a physical conditioning program in Mexico.

"I'm having a good week. I've been having fun," said Helm, who reached the quarterfinals of the men's pro division.

"I really haven't competed in a couple of year but I've got a couple of sponsors who are after me to start again," he said, adding he has been inspired by Kelly Slater, who recently won the surfing world championship at 40 years old.

"I really think I'm in better shape (than Slater)," the 37-year-old laughed.

"I really had to come up for (the Classic). It was a chance to see the home crowd."

The contest also drew another veteran surfer, Singer Island's Scott McCranels, who was fourth in the master's division (35 and over).

"It's the first time I've surfed in the Classic. I was a pro 20 years ago," said McCranels, 49.

"I was here to support my nephew, Nathan Behl from Tequesta, but since I was here I decided to compete," he said. "I had a good time. It was fun and I like supporting the event."

McCranels is a member of the East Coast Surfing Association's Hall of Fame, as is his father, Chummer, who was kiteboarding nearby, said Class co-founder Jim McDow, who used to surf with him.

Behl competed in the junior pro and men's pro divisions.

Despite un-sunny weather on Friday, "things were prefect," said McDow.

"We knew for a week we would have good waves on Friday," McDow said. "We were able to surf Friday, Saturday and Sunday and everybody was happy."

The contest was moved to the Juno Pier after 10 years at Carlin Park because beach erosion had eaten away the beach there.

"The rocks were exposed there and it was a safety hazard to everybody," McDow said.

The waves around the Juno Beach Pier are usually better anyway, and they'll probably continue holding the Classic at the new venue.

"Hopefully this turns out to be the backbone of the festival from now on," he said.

The classic saw its biggest crowds of spectator all weekend, Bloom said.

"We think this venue had a lot to do with that," he said. "This is a premier spot."The Classic also honored Palm Beach County's Kenson Frink, who finished second in the Florida Special Olympics contest in August in Cocoa Beach.

The Western Atlantic Pro Surfing Series is kicking off the 2012 season early — real early.

The first event is set for this weekend with the Independence Pro at Soup Bowls in Barbados.

"There is no time off," Bloom said.

The second series event will be in mid-March back in New Smyrna Beach.

And the Jupiter Fall Classic — maybe to be renamed the Juno Fall Classic — will be returning next November, McDow said.

As a fisherman who also surfs I can say that surfers have no beef with fishermen, that can't be said about some of the so called fishermen on this site , who, at the mere mention of the word SURFER, turn into foaming at the mouth lunatics! Add in the fact that some surfers are attempting to get the discriminatory State policy that grants exclusive 4x4 beach to fishermen, changed, and you have the recipe for a ****estorm. This is one of he reasons some members have been sidelined from this site.

Common sense to not fish when someone is sitting on a board, cannot say that the surfer has that trait ,many a times a surfer entered the water by me when I was engaged in fishing

I love to watch the surfers surf. Its fun and entertaining. I would like to do it. I will go now and watch surfing. I will like surfers from now on. I want a surf board(is surf board one word????) I want some sex wax, surfing is fun........

As a fisherman who also surfs I can say that surfers have no beef with fishermen, that can't be said about some of the so called fishermen on this site , who, at the mere mention of the word SURFER, turn into foaming at the mouth lunatics! Add in the fact that some surfers are attempting to get the discriminatory State policy that grants exclusive 4x4 beach to fishermen, changed, and you have the recipe for a ****estorm. This is one of he reasons some members have been sidelined from this site.

So this mess is about 4x4 access to the beach?

So this mess is about 4x4 access to the beach?

Its all good now, peace and love. Rav, that avatar pic looks like my aunt Agness.... Nice lady she is..

Have you read any antagonistic and baiting post's from surfcasters and fisherman directed at each other in the past few days? It seems like your trying to raise some hell, kinda throw the monkey wrench in the newly repaired machine, what's with that brother. It seems all good for now. Why ask a question that many have answered a few times?

Have you read any antagonistic and baiting post's from surfcasters and fisherman directed at each other in the past few days? It seems like your trying to raise some hell, kinda throw the monkey wrench in the newly repaired machine, what's with that brother. It seems all good for now. Why ask a question that many have answered a few times?

If you don't like the question, don't answer. I started a respectful thread and I would like respectful answers. I'm not forcing you to read this.

If you don't like the question, don't answer. I started a respectful thread and I would like respectful answers. I'm not forcing you to read this.

I did answer the question, and in fact answered it respectfully. There seems to be a lull in the surfcaster/surfer saga. Seems to be calming down now. A group of us met at field 5 moses today and one of the members is a surfer/surfcaster and we found him to be a great guy(don't know his Croc situation yet) as it looks, at least to me, it seems like its gonna die a quick death..

Nick, exactly my point. And I'll leave it at that.

Yeah, there is antagonism between the two groups.

You can be fishing in a spot, and have surfers enter the water in front of you.

If you object, you get "hey dude, the ocean is for everyone."

I have never seen an angler start casting when there are surfers in the water.

Fishing and swimming are incompatible.

After years of hard work, the fishermen gained access to non-swimming areas.

Now, the surfers want to use the fishing access.

I don't understand why they don't work for SURFERS ACCESS.

They would get more support if they weren't trying to take what belongs to another group.

So many people worked hard for that access. There is an awful lot of ocean.

Surfing and hooks are a poor combination.

If I were a surfer, I wouldn't get within 100 yards of a hook.