Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Island Lurker

Broken Rod is it fixable?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have a Loomis SUR 1084S 9ft Medium

It broke just above the 3rd eye up and I was wondering if this could be fixed?

There is no one on island that repairs rods any more so I have no idea if it can be done. Any feedback would be much appreciated

Thank you Chuck

Thank you for reply XBMX I was hoping to here that. All I was hoping for is to atleast throw light tackle with it. I mainly used it for 2oz and up

So I will look into a ferrule for it and if anything, learn a little bit about rod repair.But one thing with nantucket no one fixes rods nor reels anymore.

so good time for me to start.

Thank you XBMX and Happy Holidays

I just met a guy who fixed the tip of a boat rod, maybe 2/3 of the way up the blank. He explained that he slipped a 1 foot section of solid graphite through the butt so that 6" of it fit the taper of the butt end section and extended 6" into the broken off section, and glued everything in. He said he done this successfully a few times, minimizing the flat section of flex and preserving strength. I would have tried the same with a broken tip I had, but couldn't find a spigot small enough to fit the ID where my rod broke. It sounds like you should have a pretty big ID to work with. I don't know where he would have got the graphite rod or what glue he used. Good luck.

I just met a guy who fixed the tip of a boat rod, maybe 2/3 of the way up the blank. He explained that he slipped a 1 foot section of solid graphite through the butt so that 6" of it fit the taper of the butt end section and extended 6" into the broken off section, and glued everything in. He said he done this successfully a few times, minimizing the flat section of flex and preserving strength. I would have tried the same with a broken tip I had, but couldn't find a spigot small enough to fit the ID where my rod broke. It sounds like you should have a pretty big ID to work with. I don't know where he would have got the graphite rod or what glue he used. Good luck.

I read about the same thing your talking about along with alot of other ways of doing it. But mainly I wanted to make sure it could be fixed. I was hoping to try the ferrule 1st and go from there becouse i think that may be the eisier way. I have never done any rod repairs before I use to just throw out and buy new, but cant do that no more the way cash is these days.

Thanks Bravo for feedback appreciate it.

Was it Bill Fisher who used to have a shop and do reels? Is he gone?

Yes it was I bought the rod from Billy It was a demo rod he sold me after he sold out and moved to Florida.I also bought his last custom rod he built nice 11 footer. But along with Bill another man by the name of Barry Thurston who sold out 2yrs ago either of them where great mechanics with rods and reels. Barry is still here but I dont see him as much as I use too. He works part time for trustees of res.

why not get a new 1 from loomis?

Honestly I didnt think of it and i will look into it

I dont think I can this rod is a Demo Rod which is printed on the rod?

If I remember correctly this rod was sold to me 6yrs ago by a tackle shop which was closing down

and the owner sold it to me (short money) I think he said the thing with a demo is u cant get a new one if it breaks on the plan they had or still have? I did do it with my 8-6 which was great. But either way she had her share of fish and all the loomis rods I have are 6yrs or older and I love them

Thanks Chunk I will look into it:: Happy Holidays to you and your Family

Chuck