Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allen sklar

Bait ....wassupwidthat?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Talked to a couple people who recently got bait at Kool Ice, seems they have jacked the price of bunker to $25 a flat for fresh, you can still get frozen (costs them money to freeze it) for $18. Bought some at Bucks the other day was $2.65 a lb. Girl behind the counter offered me some hand sanitizer/deodorizer  after I put the bait on the counter.........."God that stinks" she said, wasn't sure if she was talking about the bunker or the price...........

Half a buck a pound seems like a bargain these days when yer lucky to get bait at all.

True that.... not many know the definition of "fresh" anymore.... I haven't used a good "chunk" in over a month :( :(

Hey Erik, you get one of the boats running... lets go net some bunks

A month ago at the obx ya coulda made a fortune if ya had a truck load of fresh anything...and it looks like it is getting to be that way at ai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyOC View Post

True that.... not many know the definition of "fresh" anymore.... I haven't used a good "chunk" in over a month frown.giffrown.gif

Hey Erik, you get one of the boats running... lets go net some bunks

lol...same is true of "fresh frozen"...my friends John and Liam got some frozen Bunker flats from KI the other day, and there were a few Spots in every box.Kinda wonder how long they were in their freezerheadscratch.gif

I was glad to have lots of bait though...I just fished heads in the tourney and used almost a whole box.Caught one skate and a big doggie...

My boat is Winterized and covered up.I never have figured out how to net Bunker...I'm always wanting to go fishing at the beach insteadsmile.gif

Boat for sale lol...

My boat is Winterized and covered up.I never have figured out how to net Bunker...I'm always wanting to go fishing at the beach instead

heck at this point, i would dive in after them, who needs a net..... :D

Picked up 3 dozen fresh for $ 15.00 from Kool Ice last Friday AM on my way down. They were OK quality. I also picked up a couple pounds from Bucks as well as insurance as the quality was better. Thought $ 15.00 for the amount I got was a good price.

The Bunker prices at KI are currently (as of last week):

Flat of frozen Bunker (about 35# +) - $18

Flat of fresh Bunker (about 35# +) - $18

Flat of fresh Bunker (about 35# +) w/ crushed ice and ready to go - $25...this flat is in a bigger waxed box and I reckon there's about 15 - 20# of ice.

The price of fresh and/or frozen Bunker at KI 10 years ago was $13.50 a flat...it stayed at that price for a few years then went to $14 - $14.50 per flat. Then about 2 years ago it went to $17 and now $18 per flat.

The price increase is mostly due to higher fuel prices per the many watermen I have spooken to...but the higher fuel prices have also impacted KI directly to rum their machinery/operations.

Poppy

lol...same is true of "fresh frozen"...my friends John and Liam got some frozen Bunker flats from KI the other day, and there were a few Spots in every box.Kinda wonder how long they were in their freezer:huh:

I was glad to have lots of bait though...I just fished heads in the tourney and used almost a whole box.Caught one skate and a big doggie...

My boat is Winterized and covered up.I never have figured out how to net Bunker...I'm always wanting to go fishing at the beach instead:)

Boat for sale lol...

I got approximately 3 lbs of frozen in my chest freezer... $10 OBO! Just kidding, no one wants that brick hard stuff! But, makes me wish I spent more time freezing as scarce as everyone says it is. Usually when I put bunker in the freezer, I have a new name for it... CHUM! I typically never put frozen anything on a hook anymore except squid and shiners for flounder fishing!

As far as frozen bunker...fresh and packaged right (salt sprinkled on fish a few hours before bagging) and then put in your freezer is excellent. That is what I used mostly during the spring season and was pretty firm after thawing with my share of hookups...IMO, if its in front of a striper, they are gonna eat it regardless whether its fresh or frozen...I froze 200lb's last spring. All that was gone before September. Next year, gonna get 300lb's. I did manage to score some nice bunker thats now in the freezer...might have 50 lbs, probably not enough to finish off the fall/winter season. If the pickers were gone, it would be more then enough until early spring.

Bunker I bought at Koolice vets day weekend had two shad mixed in!!! Bunker was OK (not great) for one day and then mush, even on ice with salt. What I got from Bucks yesterday is not terrible, but not great.

Agree with LuckyOC-I have not had really decent bunker this fall. I'm not even hung up on price anymore...if quality would come with the price.

Maybe we should all get together and make a deal to get some from Omega Protein....with a 160,000 metric ton catch last year they should have a few extra to spare!!!