Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jameso20o

20 lb mono leader for stripers?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Can i use a 20 lb mono leader or is that too light?

Depending on where and what type of structure your fishing, I use 40# flourocarbon, I usually fish jettys, never had a break off. Some abrasion but never a break off. If your fishing say boulder fields or rocky terrain I'd go at least 50#. But yeah 20# if your fishing stripers in my opinion is kinda light, If bluefish are around your 20# leader is toast. IMO. Hope this helps!

For plugging here in NJ I have been using 30# on sand beaches , and 50# fishing around rocks. if the yellow eyed demons make a showing i stick with the 50# no matter where I'm at. Check for abrasion after every fish, and frequently if fishing hard structure. Just my two cents. For tossing bait i use a 60# shock leader that wraps around the spool a few times. This will save your finger (or thumb), and really help you properly load that rod when chunking.

20lb works good for sub-30" bass if you're fishing in places without rocks or other abrasive structure e.g. pilings, jetty walls, wharfs.

But if you are fishing for bigger fish I think it's a good idea to go 40lb because you never know what can happen and it sucks to lose fish to either your leader breaking mid-leader or at a knot. For both cases, knots or leader breaking, the heavier leaders are a good thing!

20 is too light for anything but the smallest bass. I fish a minimum of 40 and use 80 in the spring (pencils and snag-drop). Also, consider that the leader isn't just for the fish, its a heck of a lot easier to grab and deal with thicker mono than thinner.

I think the key question is Where & How you plan on fishing to determine the best pound test to use.. For me a overall size for fishing in Jersey is 40lb but your area might be 60lb maybe more depending on the terrain...

20lb works good for sub-30" bass if you're fishing in places without rocks or other abrasive structure e.g. pilings, jetty walls, wharfs.

But if you are fishing for bigger fish I think it's a good idea to go 40lb because you never know what can happen and it sucks to lose fish to either your leader breaking mid-leader or at a knot. For both cases, knots or leader breaking, the heavier leaders are a good thing!

Exactly, but knots are vitally important as well to your leaders strength when fighting big fish. I use Palomar knot, never failed once on a fish!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameso20o View Post

Can i use a 20 lb mono leader or is that too light?

For smaller fish I use that. But normally I use 40-60# mono or fluoro leader. smile.gif

I keep it simple now; 40# Berkley Big Game Clear on my schoolie/back bay 710Z set-up and 60# Berkley Big Game Clear on my VS200. Small Breakaway or TA clips for the 40#, 80# or 125# clips respectfully for Breakaway or TA clips on the 60#. I am on a budget, fluro is too expensive, I'd rather spend the extra money on more gear. :)