Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kroc

Need some Wader Advice

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I own a pair of Frogg Togg breathable bootfoot waders. Recently when releasing a striped bass, the dorsel fin stabbed the top of my boot and I felt it prick my skin. Shortly thereafter the waders began to fill with water. When I got them home I couldn't find where the leak was. What is the best way to detect where waders are leaking from. Also, assuming the top of the boot has tear in it, is this easily repairable? They are less than a year old, but I don't know if a warranty would cover this. Anyone had any experience with returning Froog Togg waders? Probably should of gone with LL Bean, just for these situations. Any help would be appreciated.

Take a flashlight into a dark room. Hold it inside the waders where you think the leak is and move it around. You will be able to find the hole this way. Go to a well stocked sporting goods store and buy a tube of Aquaseal. Follow the directions on the box. Works like a charm. ;)

............ or you can just smear the Aquaseal around the leak, both inside and out, like I do, and save yourself the embarrassment of reading the directions. :D

you can purchase just the aquaseal that requires 4-6 hrs to set up and dry properly, or include the excellerent which is purchaced separately, and helps ,and speeds up the drying process in half the time ... Good Luck .... Should'nt be a problem follow instructions...

Any body try spraying the boot and wader seam with " FlexSeal" or a similar product like spray undercoating.......just curious. I'm thinking of trying it with my leaking backup waders........appreciate thoughts. Thanks.

Never did the light thing but my time tested and true method for leaky wader detection:

1. Turn them inside out.

2. Fill with water, let sit.

3. Look for leaks. Is easier to see on inside as materials against the body are lighter and more readily spotted when wet.

However, since you suspect the leak is occurring in the hard boot thus making No. 1 impossible, skip this and do 2-3.

Apply aqua-seal liberally on hole, inside and outside of waders. Smooth down. Aqua-seal curing accelerate can be purchased if time is of the essence. Without, a 24hr curing period is advisable. If I am wrong on the waiting time, simply follow directions on the tube.

If you don't like these options, several more are available to you:

1. Fuggeda 'bout it.

2. Wear heavier socks and fuggedda 'bout it.

3. Get new waders.

Sprayed seal stuffs are useless for waders. You need to fill the holes / tears with sealant. Satruated the surrounding in order to form a postive seal.

My experience with repairing thin breathable waders has not been good. The problem I had is the breathable fabrics are just too thin and slick to hold any of the sealant securely for long. These light weight waders are great and comfortable to wear but they are just not made to last!