Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tsnj

SHAD

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I was fishing on Sunday from the surf and had a few shorts mixed in with TONS of shad. I was using metal and a gulp sandeel as a teaser. There were rainfish around at the time.

Will the bass feed on the shad? If so, any suggestions as to what to use to mimic a shad? Soft plastics?

Any suggestions on what to use to not get shad and get bass instead? :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

TSNJ

Well I am so glad that they finally moved out of the bay and are out front now.. They are fun on light tackle ( jersey tarpon) but a pain in the azz if you are stripering and they are jumping on your hook faster then the bass.. Suggestion to Stop It - Move ? Seriously they will hit your teasers and other small offerings if they are present .. Upgrade the Size of your presentaiton is the best bet... Now if you see some Fall Herring running down the beach break out some bigger metal-lip plugs.. ;)

Bass will hit cut shad much like you chunk a bunker..

Steve

i heard shad are delicious although they have a lot of bones.

I think that's american shad, not the hickories that are around. But let me know after you try one :p

Bigger lures will keep the shad off, but there have been some big ones around and when the bait is small like rainfish, the stripers are keyed on small too.

Shad will mostly go for the teasers, so maybe go with a small bomber or swim shad.

Stripers will eat shad and strips are great for fluke.