Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dcobbett

abu Ultra Cast problem?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I bought a LHW Ultra Cast on the internet this past spring and broke it down for inspection, service, etc. then used it until a few weeks ago. Had an issue with the thumb bar free spool not engaging at the end of the cast, so I opened it up the other day to see if I could figure out what was wrong (not sure I have). Anyway, when I disassemble the reel, I saw that the outer side spool bearing had become pressed into the frame end plate (see pictures). It really doesn't want to come out and I don't want to distort or break anything. Any suggestions, and does anyone have an answer to my free spool problem?

Thanks in advance.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2502683/width/320/height/240]

[ATTACHMENT=3358]UC5601C%200600.pdf (52k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Hio. this whould be you. Note the return spring on the position holder. p/n 22084. LH reels of the day used this older style, but you can now buy one with an internal spring, all same like the rh reels. You can see the part, near the thumb-bar on the drawing.

On the left. This spring is either broken, or off its post.

Or: the very tip of the clutch arm is worn, and not 'flipping' the pinion yoke back to reel mode. these are the usual culprits, accounting for 97 % of failures.

There must have been a missing part or two, to allow the bearing to remain in the frame. Just take something a like a 3/8 drive socket that nicely fits inside the bearing bore, and give socket a tap, then locate the missing parts to keep the bb where it's supposed to be.

Once running to your satisfaction, a reminder to place the reel in cast mode before you install the assembled sideplate to the frame......that pin on the thumb-bar

could be of the type that's longer, and won't work unless the reel is placed first ino cast mode, using something thin, inserted in the only cresent-chaped hole on the brake plate under the clutch arm, where the thumb bar pin fits into. You'll see pretty quick.

Ken D,

Just got a chance to follow-up on your suggestions.

Spring is not broken and is attached at both ends. Double checked the parts schematic and everything seems to be there and in place.

Regarding the bearing, it was really stuck. I had a nut driver that had an O.D. that was just inside the O.D. of the bearings outer race. Fit perfectly, but I couldn't get the bearing out without tapping it with a light tack hammer-something I didn't want to do. Once out, I smoothed the inner surface of the frame ring (my term) and touched up the out side edge of the bearing with 2000 grit, then some buffing compound. Checked the spool shaft as best I could and it looks straight. Put it all back together and the reel seems to operate O.K. Don't know what caused the problems, but I'll see what happens next year. Thanks again for your suggestions