Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Kind of a dumb question (Int'l Space Station related)

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Now that the space shuttle program is shut down, what type of space craft do the astronaughts use travel from and to the space station? I ask this question because I saw on the news that three astronaughts returned to earth today (or yesterday???) and realized, I never have seen the russian space craft. I should quantify by stating I have seen the rocket ships during lift off and outbound to the ISS. It's the piece regarding their return that I'm missing. Is it a capsule, similar to our old Apollo missions?

We don't have a vehicle for the naughts anymore, so if you need to go, you'll have to hitch a ride, and I wouldn't if I were you.

I don't know what you're gonna do there anyway.

I would just go on a cruise.

I believe the russian's still use a thump down technique. It is a capsule that meets the ISS then load in and fall back to earth. I thought they had a shuttle knock off...but I always see them in the steppes of a 'stan country pulling three guys out a capsule. anubody else know for sure?

Poland built a gigantic ladder into space several years ago that didn't receive much media attention because everyone thought it was just the punchline to a Polish joke. Who's laughin' now?

Here ya go!

View blogs from other authors Jason Stamper's Blog CBR Rolling Blog Jason Stamper's BlogPublished 12 August 2005 One space shuttle for sale, in excellent if somewhat controversial condition. Probable new space craft project forces reluctant sale. One careful owner from new - NASA - only 89.9 million miles on the clock. In good running order: used as an

One space shuttle for sale, in excellent if somewhat controversial condition. Probable new space craft project forces reluctant sale. One careful owner from new - NASA - only 89.9 million miles on the clock. In good running order: used as an everyday runabout on long commute. One of only five in series, black and white paint job. Three Rocketdyne engines, 37 million horsepower. Runs on liquid hydrogen fuel, but can be converted to unleaded (not included in price or under warranty). Does 0-60mph in 3G. Tops out at 17,580 miles an hour (in orbit). Fully overhauled 1997-9, with 165 trick modifications including wicked under-chassis strip lighting a la Pimp My Ride. Can optionally be docked to Russian space station Mir (not included in price). Excellent exterior visibility (but with slight blind spot behind external fuel tank). Carries six passengers in cramped but comfortable accommodation, offers zero gravity conditions and 12 speaker Pioneer CD multi-changer, AM/FM radio and satellite video link with Houston. Fully space centre and Air Force base legal. 10 months tax (worth around $40 billion), sadly M.O.T. recently withdrawn. Excellent winter project or 'fixer-upper'. Any sensible offer considered.

All is not lost, the devine wisdom of the Bama Regime after shutting down the space shuttle program has launced what Bama feels is a smarter way to get people into space. An elevator.

All is not lost, the devine wisdom of the Bama Regime after shutting down the space shuttle program has launced what Bama feels is a smarter way to get people into space. An elevator.

That's a brilliant idea! And well thought out.

I thought the Alabama student body was a bunch of NASCAR rednecks that spit on women and children. Who knew?