Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nauset

Northern Gannets

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

that's nuts. a buddy was pheasant hunting at crowe's pasture on saturday morning and said there was blitz like activity just offshore. of course no boats, why would there be! macks maybe? or maybe bass blitzing. but the birds were going nuts he said...

I have been seeing this same site a half dozen times in the last three or four days.One of them,on the bay side,made this one look puny.There were hundreds and hundreds of them maybe a half mile out just going crazy.These were pretty close.I don't know what they are feeding on but there are lots of them on both sides.

I remember chumming for tuna and a gannet would drop from a 1000feet in the air to get some of the chum........if you were not ready for it the bird hitting the water from nowhere would really make you jump.........

I have seen this too a few times over the last weekend or so. Mostly out past wellfleet/truro...

Is there anything under them? They were out of casting range so I just watched for a while- amazing birds.

My wife says I'm the only nut on this site that traveled to Saint Marys ecological sanctuary site in Newfoundland,Canada to see there breding grounds.

At the risk of sounding stupid I enjoyed it. 10's of thousands of the darn things.

I remember when they invaded the East end last year. Would dive down and grab lures that were 15' under water. Aggressively chased topwater stuff all the way into the rocks. One brain surgeon next to me hooked one up on 3 consecutive casts. My wife can't stand to see birds getting reeled in. She went and reemed him a new one after the 3rd.  cwm27.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

My wife says I'm the only nut on this site that traveled to Saint Marys ecological sanctuary site in Newfoundland,Canada to see there breding grounds.

At the risk of sounding stupid I enjoyed it. 10's of thousands of the darn things.

Tell your wife there is another nut who who would love to see that.I love these birds.I am considering coming back as one the next time around.

I remember when they invaded the East end last year. Would dive down and grab lures that were 15' under water. Aggressively chased topwater stuff all the way into the rocks. One brain surgeon next to me hooked one up on 3 consecutive casts. My wife can't stand to see birds getting reeled in. She went and reemed him a new one after the 3rd.  :laugh:

I wasn't there but just wondering if a few of those birds might have been-- Manx shearwaters?-- Just wondering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

I wasn't there but just wondering if a few of those birds might have been-- Manx shearwaters?-- Just wondering.

Not sure of the difference. I'm no ornithologist. I was told they were gannets. Pretty sure I've got a picture on my laptop at home. I'll post it up later and you can take a look.

Not sure of the difference. I'm no ornithologist. I was told they were gannets. Pretty sure I've got a picture on my laptop at home. I'll post it up later and you can take a look.

Manx Shears look pretty different. Chunkier body plus all black wings on the top. Gannets have mostly white wings with black tips. Similar flight patterns though, they look like a "flying cross." Been a fair amount of gannets in RI lately too, on sea herring.

-bd

Been loads of shearwaters off chatham this bass season-and last that's why I asked.

The shearwaters look cool chasing your lure with there head underwater and swimming as fast as they can paddling with there feet and wings.

The dam things are like sea ducks and scooters as they can go down about 40-60ft after shellfish mussels so I,ve read.