Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gearjammer

Do beach replenishment projects help the fishing?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Walked over the dunes at one of the DSSP to find a place that might look fishable the other day and just north was a large barge with a pumping line coming toward the beach…:confused:

Agh, you think they wait a few weeks until the fall run was well underway but noooo. :mad:

But, it got me thinking a few years back there was a major beach replenishment project that went on up and down the DE shoreline. The following year the fishing was really good. So it got me wondering that the reason I have been reading all the posts of no fish being caught over the past few years is that north of the IR inlet there is practically no structure to hold any bait fish. With the beach shore line being relatively flat I’m wondering that maybe the fish are just “passing thru“ the DSSP area and in order to catch fish you have to be there during a certain period whether it be 1 day or 2 weeks. Any other time forget it bc without the structure or contours the fish have no reason to stick around.

Also, thinking that maybe next year I should concentrate my fishing off one of the zones where the dredge operation was conducted (i.e. Bethany, Dewey or Rehoboth beaches). Maybe the structure or changed contours off the beach although temporary or artifically made might hold the bait fish longer and the StripesBlue might hang in those areas longer.

Thoughts…

I have to agree Beach Replenishment sure does no good for fishing structure.:mad: Yea, the current and waves just sucks all that sand back into the ocean and makes the water cloudy and the beach flat and shallow. Why the money can’t be used to build rock jetties. At CHSP heron point, the sand stays there since the 2 jetties were fixed. We need rock jetties on the north side of IR inlet beaches say every 300 yards or the ocean will be right at the edge of the road causing more headaches...:(

Charlie N.

From a person who's lived through the death of one of the world class striper areas due to beach replenishment (NJ jetty country, buried 1995 - RIP)

NO !!!!

Hum….I’m seeing a lot of “No’s” & I think the comments are great but I’m still not sure…

I’ve noticed over the past few year that Striper fishing in the surf had been virtually none existent in the DSSP area. With the exception of school bass it appears that this year again the big schools of fish opted to stay off the beach once again. I continue to scratch my heads wondering why. Many of us continue to fish the beach day after day in hopes that this was going to be the day. So in my frustration I went back and started looked at past fishing reports posted on this website so I could put a perspective on what I think is happening when the replenishment project along the DSSP area were completed.

It appears the first fall season following the completion of the project the MD & DSSP coast was immediately battered with one Nor'easter after another. It appears that several storms hit the coast with varying severity. I’m thinking as a result the beach contour along the DSSP had changed drastically. A hydro-geologist friend of mine told me recently that bc of all the storms combined with the sand removed from the replenishment projects that most likely a giant sandbar was in place just off the beaches. This created a good spring fishery with bass having sandbars to attract and hold fish and bait. The storms provided extensive cuts in the bars which would provided avenues for fish to migrate in and out of.

Since that time it also been reported that relatively calm weather and no major sequence of Nor'easters have changed the beach once again. I’m thinking the bar with its deeper water in front, and rips and cuts, are gone. I’m also thinking bc that the predominate wave type which we have seen since the spring has been spilling breakers, those with wave heights of one to three feet, which gently crest and break. This wave type has leveled the bar out and is pushing this sand back towards the beach. This is a very naturally process and I’ve watched the DSSP beaches grow in width over the past few years.

Our deep drop-offs as you enter the water are also gone. In essence the beaches along the DSSP is relatively shallow and at a low tide which occurs during the new and full moons I could can easily walk around in waist deep water. Now I’m thinking this shallowness is responsible for the poor fishing that we have seen. I think we all could agree that while it isn’t the most conducive profile to attract fishbait it isn’t the total answer. When I looked at other forums on this website both north and south of the DSSP area where no replenishment projects were undertaken the fishery wasn’t any better there either. What else was interesting was that when I looked at NJ forum reports from the same time frame there was a virtual graveyard of fishing reports for several weeks after Thanksgiving this season.

Another interesting fact reported was during the months of October and early November the year following the replenishment a completely different scenario was set up. The bunker were so thick along the beach. Blues and bass were around with some really large blues up to fourteen pounds being reported along with good size bass.

As for the fall season last year it was reported that the DSSP area experienced winds predominately out of the west for a period of several weeks and that good size stripers finally did arrive in our area offshore approximately two weeks before Christmas along with a large concentrations of bait. So maybe, the fish were content to stay right where they were. They really had no reason to come into the beaches. I’m thinking if we had a good Nor'easter during those several weeks that the wind could have pushed everything right to our feet, but that didn’t happen either. So the stripers and enormous schools of bait migrated right on by in twenty five to seventy five feet of water. Needless to say, the boat fishing last year was good.

So what’s the answer. Beach, bait, weather? Has the beach replenishment project along DSSP beaches been detrimental to my surf fishing? I’m not convinced it’s a” Yes”. I’m thinking if the conditions are right and the bait is present the fish will be to. But that isn’t any new astounding revelation or insight we’ve all known this since we began surf fishing. So what's the answer I'm thinking I'm just going to pray to the fishing god’s in October for them to send a few good Nor'easter our way so my NovDec fishing might be more productive but until then I keep fishing and hoping that today will be the day.