Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gamakatsu

Is this the new NFL?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Is it me or is the NFL becoming a slopfest? I wonder if this is how it's going to be with the new practice rules or if this is just a result of the lockout. Almost every QB except Rogers, A Smith and maybe Ben have taken a step back (maybe Eli because he sucked badly last year). A lot of chitty play this year.

I could argue right now that the NFL hasn't seen this much talent at the QB position in two decades...maybe longer.

But the cap limits teams to having one top QB....after that things fall off pretty quick. Hell, even before the cap, it wasn't like the NFL was filled with a bunch of saviors playing back up; with the exception of the likes of Young, White, Reich.

I could argue right now that the NFL hasn't seen this much talent at the QB position in two decades...maybe longer.

I'd be on your side of the argument. And I'd say longer, 3 decades takes us to the early 80's.

I was being VERY conservative.

But my point is....this is NOT the time to be talking about sloppy QB play. Yes, many of the top QBs have had tough years, but we are still light years ahead of previous decades. I'm not complaining.

It's not the 1980s or 1990s when you had HOFers all over the league - Montana, Marino, Young, Elway, Aikman, Kelly, Moon, Fouts, Favre, etc. Can you imagine those guys playing under today's rules?

Right now the only sure bet HOFer playing is Brady (would say Peyton, but who knows if he'll be back). Drew Brees is borderline, Aaron Rodgers may get there someday.

I was being VERY conservative.

But my point is....this is NOT the time to be talking about sloppy QB play. Yes, many of the top QBs have had tough years, but we are still light years ahead of previous decades. I'm not complaining.

I can see how it was misunderstood. Wasn't referring strictly to QB play but play in general. I just wanted to use the fact that many QB's have gone backwards this year to point out that the lack of practice appears to be hurting them as well. Missed tackles, sloppy route running, blown coverages, poor blocking...Every position seems to have stepped back this year. Maybe it's just me.

It's not the 1980s or 1990s when you had HOFers all over the league - Montana, Marino, Young, Elway, Aikman, Kelly, Moon, Fouts, Favre, etc. Can you imagine those guys playing under today's rules?

Right now the only sure bet HOFer playing is Brady (would say Peyton, but who knows if he'll be back). Drew Brees is borderline, Aaron Rodgers may get there someday.

Uh...most of the current quarterbacks are relatively young, but if they continue down the path their going, there will be a helluva lot more Hall of Famers than just Brady.

And Manning isn't a Hall of Famer? Are you freaking kidding me. If he never plays again, he is a 1st ballot inductee.

Uh...most of the current quarterbacks are relatively young, but if they continue down the path their going, there will be a helluva lot more Hall of Famers than just Brady.

And Manning isn't a Hall of Famer? Are you freaking kidding me. If he never plays again, he is a 1st ballot inductee.

To clarify - The only sure bet HOFer PLAYING is Brady. Manning is a sure bet as well, but he's not playing right now and who knows if he'll be back.