Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passiton

Safety and Sandbars

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I watched a guy step in a hole behind the sandbar we were fishing as he fought a decent fish. Wasn't looking, backing towards where he knew shore was, and dropped right in. Two small waves and he was just about off his feet and completely panicked. We got him in, but it was a little scary to watch.

Think about what you're wearing out there. All the talk about fishing sandbars and being rugged manly men seems to push some guys beyond what they may be up to actually doing. Cotton sweatshirts under waders or an open rain jacket won't help you if you take a wave over the head and no wading belt is just asking for an arse kicking. Even a $30 spalsh top will help. A dry top is better. I even see now why some guys like to use wetsuits.

I stayed too late yesterday on the bar, looking for "just one more." I decided to head in when the waves were regularly head height, but left it too late and cut it too close to that same hole. I lost my footing, couldn't touch again, and started drifiting. I was in breathables with an AS Neoprene top with two belts and floated easily, but it was still not a good feeling. A few strokes, rod over my head, and I was back on the sand. I'm an idiot for staying that long with the water that high and me feeling that tired, but it was damned hard to stop.

I look a little silly in the Hurricane top when it's not that cold out, but it beats the hell out of the alternative.

The guy who dropped in that hole had never fished the salt. His buddy brought him down for the day and he was not prepared at all. He did, however, catch bass to 16 pounds and have a good time. :)

How'd you guys do over the weekend?

Very well. The boys were beat by the time we actually hit the sand and we didn't much that night, but dawn brought wonderful things. I had to take a break, but refuelled with rainbow cookies, baklava, and coffee before heading back out on the bar. Solid fishing for 4 to 5 hours.

Glad to hear that you and the other guy are safe.

I would like to add another thing here as well.

After unhooking a couple of fish from the main lure, I had to take the teaser off. It is right out dangerous handling a fish in knee or waist deep water when there are hooks flying from different lengths of your line.

Maruthu

I can recall at least 4 instances where fisherman were drowned at SH / RB........walking out on a bar is no joke and not keeping track of the tidal flow behind you is just insane....no one's life is worth a fish and at least 3 of the fatalities were when they stepped off the bar and were carried away by the current......this is serious stuff and just because you see a fella chest deep in water doesn't mean you can do it too......use common sense.....please.