What is this VS BS?

Rate this topic

LIStriper

Oz---extra work? Ever have a VS and a Sustain apart side by side? Which one do you think is easier to disassemble and re-assemble? The one with a gazillion bearings and moving parts, or the one with a handful of moving parts and a main and one-way roller bearing?

DJ,

I would tend to agree with you that the Sustain would be tougher to work on considering all the parts you have to deal with and the bail assembly. However, before I say that that the Shimano service is more involved, I would like to see a break down of exactly what they do for the $12.00. Is it a quick open up, clean, regrease and reinstall side plate or is a complete disassembly, clean, and reassembly like VS. Without knowing exactly what you're getting, I would be a little suspicious of what they're doing for $12.00. Not saying Shimano is up to anything, but I don't think we're comparing apples to apples.

MEMBER: TEAM GREEN

SOL OG #47

Shimano charges $12 to sevice a spinner. Considering the VS sevice includes seals and extra work $36 is reasonable.

OZ, In fact the annual service typically includes much more than just seals,lubrication and any labor involved. To clarify just how much labor is involved to fully dismantle each and every component of the reel(in excess of 70 parts)clean,inspect,replace as required and then reassemble the reel is approx 1.5 hours on average. On "in warranty" reels any suspect component is replaced regardless of cost. Anyone who has received Annual Service can comment on the multi line item service report detailing the parts which are replaced at no cost on reels "in warranty"

Regards Rick H

LIStriper, I've not yet had a chance to check our warranty/service data base but my guess is that it has been quite some time since you've had your reel serviced by the factory.

Rick,

First - Nope, reels serviced last year as required, and will be sending them this year shortly.

Second - For the record I have no issue whatsoever as to the accessibility, response, level of service or the character exhibited by the new VS.

Third - My post was not intended as a bash on VS nor an attempt to start a "Lets bash VS thread".

I acknowledge your prerogative to have a policy and not budge from it. As a consumer it is my prerogative to comment on what I see as an incremental withdrawal from full lifetime coverage (which for me was one of the strongest selling points), particularly those portions of the reel that have historical shortcomings.

LIStriper

LIStriper|00000027
"vir prudens non contra ventum mingit"

I got no problem with sending my reel in each year. Done it a few times already and they do change a lot of parts for you if you look at the work sheet they send with it. I thought about the do it yourself maintenance kit but for the few extra bucks, they spot things that need changing that I wouldn't see. I think everyone is also forgetting that the shipping back to you is also included in the $36.95 so it really isn't that much.

------------------

SOL #860

Share what you know

Learn what you don't

As a consumer it is my prerogative to comment on what I see as an incremental withdrawal from full lifetime coverage

Amen Fred...and everyone elseicon14.gif These forums are designed to give folks a voice - and to give other earswink.gif LIStriper respectfully asked a question and voiced a concern - perfectly within every bounds there is. Some folks freak out and get defensive as soon as someone "questions" a product or company that they like. When you purchase a product you should certainly be able to discuss it and the company and policies that made the product.

Regardless of how many people get all up in arms when someone questions VS, it's products and it's policies - the input and customer contact that VS has access to through this site are invaluable. Not just to VS, but to you as VS customers or potential VS customers. Rick does an excellent job of handling not just questions and compliments, but the tough stuff like an unhappy customer or even Oznavadwink.gif

So, for the benefit of the manufacturers and the benefit of us, the consumers and users, we need to keep on asking and questioning and sharing - in the long run, we all benefit...even those who feel like they got "bashed" along the waysmile.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Rick, 70 parts? What did you do, count screws?wink.gif I don't mind paying $36 to spiffy a reel once a year.

Tim is correct. The unadulterated feedback and spirited discussion(even the brutally harsh commentswink.gif regarding the VS product on SOL is priceless. You couldn't write a big enough check to get a focus group like this one together. Add to that, the willingness of the company's president to respond to inquiries and build a rapport with his client base and you see the power of the internet helping consumers and manufacturers alike. Thanks Timmy

First I would Just like to state I did not mean for my original post to be as unpolite sounding as it may have been received.I have no gripe with Van Staal.If I did I would not own one. I would also like to state in my short period of ownership I have been nothing short of 100% satisfied with my 150.That being said I would like to know if RickH thinks that my reel which I received in Oct 02 and was used approx.25 times needs service now or should I wait.Also what is the average turn around for this service? and what method of shipping is recomended by VS?I would also like to thank RickH for his response to this post.And I am sorry for any misunderstanding on my part

First I would Just like to state I did not mean for my original post to be as unpolite sounding as it may have been received.I have no gripe with Van Staal.If I did I would not own one. I would also like to state in my short period of ownership I have been nothing short of 100% satisfied with my 150.That being said I would like to know if RickH thinks that my reel which I received in Oct 02 and was used approx.25 times needs service now or should I wait.Also what is the average turn around for this service? and what method of shipping is recomended by VS?I would also like to thank RickH for his response to this post.And I am sorry for any misunderstanding on my part

If it were my reel I would probably send it in but that's me. Your reel is covered under full warranty until next fall. As I stated in an earlier post we don't expect anyone to return a reel during what is hopefully the height of the fall run. That said if you waited until this time next year for it's first annual service there would be no questions asked.

Suggested shipping method----Your Dealer from whom you purchased the reel from. In our new Dealer Drop Off Program you bring the reel to your Dealer along with a product return form, they box it, ship it to VS using our UPS number(no cost to you)we service the reel and return either to the dealer or directly to you.

Average turn around time Jan-March 3-4 weeks

Remainder of year 7-10 days.

I hope this info answers your questions.

Regards Rick H

Rick, 70 parts? What did you do, count screws?wink.gif I don't mind paying $36 to spiffy a reel once a year.

Tim is correct. The unadulterated feedback and spirited discussion(even the brutally harsh commentswink.gif regarding the VS product on SOL is priceless. You couldn't write a big enough check to get a focus group like this one together. Add to that, the willingness of the company's president to respond to inquiries and build a rapport with his client base and you see the power of the internet helping consumers and manufacturers alike. Thanks Timmy

OZ, It's more than just getting your reel "spiffed" up. Every and I mean every part of that reel is disassembled,cleaned, inspected and then reassembled.

I agree with most of your comment regarding the power of the internet. The potential point of contention is that I have spent nearly a year here on SOL answering questions, providing input and still to this day when it comes to questions of warranty and service in particlular-- there are a number of you who are misinformed. That to me indicates that we need to do a more effective job of getting factual info to the members of SOL.

To that end I would like to extend an open invitation to TimS to visit our facility in MA. We would review with him our policies, especially with regard to service and warranty and have Tim witness a reel actually having an Annual Service performed. We would answer as many questions as possible that Tim felt would benefit the SOL membership.Just a thought but it may prove helpful.

Regards Rick

Rick,

Only if you let me go with himwink.gif

I understand how you service the reels. Unfortunately not every member here has read the thousand VS posts to keep up to speed with the new policies and procedures(though it's pretty simple). Fortunately, we have an effective vehicle to clean these things up quickly.

Best wishes to you and VS in 2003.

I do not own a VS nor is it likely that I will ever own one, however, I like the fact that rick replies on this site regularly. To me that shows charachter and a belief in his product.

------------------

SOL # 642

:rav: Hello Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please.

To that end I would like to extend an open invitation to TimS to visit our facility in MA.

OK, but only if I can write a really cool article and quote people with really recognizable handles that I've thrown off my websitewink.gif

I'd love to Rick, where yah at? Looks like with this MassBass show in late March and other interesting things to do up north, I might need to spend a few daysicon14.gif

TimS

[This message has been edited by TimS (edited 01-04-2003).]

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.