Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LIStriper

What is this VS BS?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

Been very busy at work but have maintained my lurking schedule. Hope everyone is well and had a good holiday season.

Since I know that the VS lurks and post here. So follows my rant......

I was about to send in my VS's, so I print out the handy dandy form they provide and read this!

"ANNUAL SERVICE CHARGES

Annual service for reels within warranty will be charged at a rate of $36.95*. This does not cover line roller, drag

washer or handle bearing replacement for reels beyond 12 months from original date of purchase. Parts and labor

charges will apply (See Additional Charges)."

I was all set for the $36.95, but what is this does not cover line roller, drag

washer or handle bearing replacement for reels beyond 12 months from original date of purchase BS?

I thought I bought a

DSCN1371.JPG

It is highly suspect that the "known problem parts" are now being excluded.

Any one have any feed back on this issue?

------------------

LIStriper

limited

Limit \\Lim"it\\ (l[i^]m"[i^]t), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Limited; p. pr. & vb. n. Limiting.] [F. limiter, L. limitare, fr. limes, limitis, limit; prob. akin to limen threshold, E. eliminate; cf. L. limus sidelong.] To apply a limit to, or set a limit for; to terminate, circumscribe, or restrict, by a limit or limits; as, to limit the acreage of a crop; to limit the issue of paper money; to limit one's ambitions or aspirations; to limit the meaning of a word.

\ nMy own addition: To limit to stuff that don't wear out.

I don't see anything wrong with that. What they're saying is that the $36.95 covers the inspection and replacement of bearing, seals, fluid, etc. Items that wear from use are not covered - no manufacturer does that. You can always get the service kit and do the annual maintenance yourself.

Is this a new addition to their warranty or has this always been the policy? If it's been changed since you purchased your reel, I can understand your feelings. If it's always been that way then...well then it's always been that waywink.gif

TimS

I never though I would be unhappy with VS aside from the drag, but this incremental withdrawal of coverage has me concerned.

IMO a product with acknowledged crappy drag stacks, line rollers that wear from normal use or bearings that fail in a "waterproof reel" fall under the defect in material and workmanship clause of the "Limited Warranty" and should be covered.

Tim: Previously the line roller and drag replacement was included with the old reels.

Gotcha...then I can understand mah friend LIStriper's concernssmile.gif

TimS

It says, "line roller" not "line roller bearing", right? wink.gif

Unfortunately, once the old VS went into bankruptcy, the new owners may not be bound by previous warranty committments. Someone familiar with bankruptcy law might be able to say with more accuracy.

It boggles my mind that a company that charges that kind of $$$ for a product, and which is trying to regain several years of lost goodwill by its predecessor, won't eat the few cents apiece that a new set of drag washers cost confused.gif And "labor" to install drag washers or a line roller confused.gif Even Surfcaster Bill will screw on a drag knob or replace a worn Crack line roller without charging for labor biggrin.gif

I think we might be missing the point here, it is covered if you send in the reel EACH year, if ya send them a 4 yr. old reel they arent gonna replace anyhting for free, now if you send that same reel in EVERY year its covered. Tell me Im right or their 36.95 annual tune up is for nuthin. BTW I aint right alot when it comes to warranties.

------------------

See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time- Robin Williams

As I read and understand it, those items are covered for 12 months from original purchase then you are on your own to cover the cost when (not if) they crap out.

------------------

LIStriper

Ditch Digger:

It is my understanding that the previous owner of VS did not file for bankrupcy. But seperated the two companies. The aeronautical and the reel division. He did this so that he could sell the reel division to the current owners.

While we are on the subject of VS.I received a VS-150 as a birthday gift in Oct. of 2002. It was used about 20 to 25 times this past fall.My question is when does it have to be serviced by as to not void the warranty?I e-mailed this so called "NEW CUSTOMER FRIENDLY VAN STALL" about two weeks ago but never got a reply.So far I am extremly pleased with there product and I am also not expecting anything for nothing but a simple reply would have been nice! maybe I should have mentioned that I belong to this site.

Well I have a 300 and a 250 and I for one am happy that the company just didn't tell us to take a walk. Like everyone else I felt I was going to lose on this deal VS gone no parts no one to repair the reel. But that didn't happy not even for a minute the new people got the company and all my problems with it and they did a real good job with what they were handed. Parts on anything wear why should they have to pay for that?

It's a whole new game new owners that didn't have to help us as much as they did. And not for nothing they helped me more with my reels then the old VS did.

Just My $.02

Eddie

------------------

GoneFlyFishing33.jpg

[This message has been edited by BassBlitz (edited 01-03-2003).]