Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pakalolo

Hudson River

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

The recreational fishery in the Hudson targets breeding fish during the spring and allows fish as small as 18" to be retained. Is this a harmfull practice, common sense says so. How about the coalition stepping up and fighting against this destructive practice, the same way they fought to keep the commercial guys out of the fishery for the same reasons stated above. I'm not a member, but as a recreational fishermen, I respectfully ask the coalition to use it's far reaching powers and collection of advocates in Albany to stop this abomination. Thanks.

In my opinion that we ahould have stripe bass slot limit 2fish and18 to36 in and stop the commercial and recreational fisherman in east coast states to have fish breed without any pressure on the cows. Still can fiah for thwm but relase and enforce the law to close early speing when bass breed in eRly spring closed. I know this mot popular but it it one of ways to have this fish for the our children.

The recreational fishery in the Hudson targets breeding fish during the spring and allows fish as small as 18" to be retained. Is this a harmfull practice, common sense says so. How about the coalition stepping up and fighting against this destructive practice, the same way they fought to keep the commercial guys out of the fishery for the same reasons stated above. I'm not a member, but as a recreational fishermen, I respectfully ask the coalition to use it's far reaching powers and collection of advocates in Albany to stop this abomination. Thanks.

For the record the NYCRF is not in favor of anyone keeping an 18" striped bass from the Hudson. We urge recreational fisherman to practice catch and release more often when it comes to the smaller fish which have not had a chance to spawn yet. We urge the same for the breeders as well. We are also not in favor of commercial fisherman killing 24" fish.

According to the ASMFC and the NYS DEC catching these smaller fish it is not a harmful practice. They are the ones that have justified the regulations and have ensured that these fish are accounted for. Also as you are already aware the ASMFC recently announced that the striped bass are not currently being over fished. With the current findings that have been released from the ASMFC it would be next to impossible to change the size limit regulations. In 2013 things could be completely different. If warranted we will fight for whatever needs to be done.

Quote from the ASMFC Draft Addendum 3: "Draft Addendum III will propose a range of fishing management measures including, but not limited to, adjustments to commercial and recreational minimum size (for jurisdictions outside Chesapeake Bay and Albemarle Sound/Roanoke River), reductions in annual coastal commercial allocation, reductions in recreational bag limits, revisions to the target F rate (for Chesapeake Bay and Albemarle Sound/Roanoke River), and reductions on fishing for striped bass in known spawning areas during the spawning season by at least 50% (for jurisdictions bordering the Hudson River, Delaware River, Chesapeake Bay and Albemarle Sound/Roanoke River).

The commercial and recreational fishery is currently managed through Amendment 6 to the Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan. The Amendment, passed in 2003, allocates the coastal commercial quota and set a two fish bag limit and a 28 inch size minimum for the recreational fishery, with the exception of the Chesapeake Bay fisheries, Albemarle Sound/Roanoke River fisheries, and states with approved alternative regulations."

By the way your statement of not being a member of ours is incorrect, unless you recently resigned from you club.

Does the NYCRF have anything to say about the recent summer flounder findings that they are being overfished or the over 50% mandatory reduction in blackfish harvest that NY is required to take in 2012? I mean this organization claims to represent all recreational fishermen but yet not a peep out of them. These are 2 of the most popular species that NY recreational fishermen target.

Does the NYCRF have anything to say about the recent summer flounder findings that they are being overfished or the over 50% mandatory reduction in blackfish harvest that NY is required to take in 2012? I mean this organization claims to represent all recreational fishermen but yet not a peep out of them. These are 2 of the most popular species that NY recreational fishermen target.

Nope - the Coalition has recently gone on record stating that it represents the viewpoints of its members, not recreational fishermen as a whole.

Dare I say even more popular than striped bass?

How about sea bass. The stock has been deemed fully rebuilt yet the fishcrats reduced the bag limit from 25 fish to 10 fish & increased the size limit in NY this year. Anything at all from the NYCRF concerning any of the above popular recreational fisheries? Anything?

Where are you getting your numbers from regarding Fluke? The NYS DEC brought up at the most recent MRAC meeting that NYS is estimated to be 40 - 44% underfished for Fluke.

Regarding the Tog - As you often point out the facts are the facts. If you wish that we obtain our own data, please feel free to contribute monetarily asap.