Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sefmonster

Anyone use a Nautil 6500 and 7500?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I have a mint 6500,a mint 7500 and a brand new 7500. I have used the 6500 a few times with 14lb Original Fireline and enjoyed it. I have also used one of the 7500's and like it to. I have another 7500 which I'm thinking about selling on the B/S/T. I have never dunked any of them but the box says there waterproof. By the way these are the yellow models. Just wanted to hear some feedback on these reels and was wondering if anyone knows of anyone that services them or replaces parts. Thanks...John

The yellow were better. The black ones, the high speed models had gearing problems when under stress. But I think the problem with many graphite frames reels is the they somewhat contort under a load. And even more so with a tight drag. 

I had both years back. I liked them, but thought the 6500 was a bit too small and the 7500 a bit too big!smile.gif

I have a mint 6500,a mint 7500 and a brand new 7500. I have used the 6500 a few times with 14lb Original Fireline and enjoyed it. I have also used one of the 7500's and like it to. I have another 7500 which I'm thinking about selling on the B/S/T. I have never dunked any of them but the box says there waterproof. By the way these are the yellow models. Just wanted to hear some feedback on these reels and was wondering if anyone knows of anyone that services them or replaces parts. Thanks...John

I also have two 7500's, one of which I use and the other is new in the box.

I've used the 7500 for more years than I can remember, although I do recall buying the one I currently use when they were still being retailed at Cape tackle shops. The reel has treated me well.

Haven't had the need to do servicing or replacing of parts. Although I did jerry rig the bail unit after the plastic portion of the bail that snugs up to the line roller cracked and fell off. Thought for sure I needed to junk the reel, but a little ingenuity with a couple of washers I was able to snug the line roller to the metal bail arm.

I have 2. Yellow 6500 and 7500. The 6500 I only used a couple of times but the 7500 I have used a lot with no problems. It has been very good to me. The 7500 is actually a Neptune which is what they were called at first. It looks like hell now but works like new.

I have both models.. Like them alot... Caught alot of fish on both.. They work well. I beat them up, dunk them in the wash Etc. Wash them off when I get home... Haven't had much problems with either one except the bail not wanting to shut on it's own on the 7500 while you turn the handle NOW I just close it by hand. Still works great... If you decide to sell let me know please looking for a newer reel.

Thanks Tom

I have two.. Black 7500 and yellow 7500... Lovem both.. Only issue over the years has been an occasional sticky drag and the line roller bearing siezes quickly and causes the swish swish swish swish during the retrieve.. One of the BEST water proof reels there is at the price it was. I always dunk this reel... I use the rod as a walking sticmk with this reel and it's never had an issue with sand or water intrusion... I've often asked why another reel manufacturer doesn't use this rubber casing idea cause it works...

I have both sizes in the fast retieve version and do wade and dunk them. Only drawback is just adequate casting distance and I also ground off the auto trip on the 7500 so it's easier to

reach the line with my finger when I want to open the bail and set up to cast. They are still used...The guy who won the season long Ditch Troll big bass contest got the winning fish on a

high speed 7500.

Actually, loved the yeller 6500, had 3 or 4 of them, cooked them all except 1, that one I sold. One worked hard for a season, thought I had a winner. Funny how they would go bad, all of a sudden they would bind up and wouldn't turn, guess the fix was never worth it for Pure Fishing. Sure wish they would have perfected that one, i even got used to and liked the banana handle.

i had yellow 6500 and i hated it. first thing i did when i got it was make it manual bail because that bail loved to snap shut. the rubber drag cap would always cause the line to stick to it so if u werent constantly paying attention to it there was a good chance that u would get a loop in your line and create a big nasty knot in ur spool. the drag sucked on it too. finally i stripped the gearing out after one spring and 3 spools of braid. probably bet thing that ever happened to me. picked up a zeebass and never looked back haven't serviced it once in 4 yrs