Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Paul Kukonen

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

Many of us "old timers" on this (and other fishing sites) owe our existence to Paul Kukonen. Back in the 60s and early 70s Paul was The Man when it came to fishing for anything in not only Ma, but most of NE. Without his great advice and tutelage, we'd be out fishing for bluegills and horned pout somewhere.

After he died, the NE Fly Tyers dedicated a couple benches at the Barre Falls WMA. This was one of Paul's favorite spots for pheasant, woodcock, partridge, ducks and trout.

[img=

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2497049/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

When I was a kid, the fishing bug was biting me. The thing that really got to me was watching his films of fishing in Labrador. He would show the films for the local Boy Scout troop's. God, the fishing films were unbelievable! I was hooked! I did get to go to his shop a few times.

When I was a kid, the fishing bug was biting me. The thing that really got to me was watching his films of fishing in Labrador. He would show the films for the local Boy Scout troop's. God, the fishing films were unbelievable! I was hooked! I did get to go to his shop a few times.

Believe it or not, I've spent the past 10 years trying to track those movies down. I knew a couple of Paul's old friends (and one old girl frriend ;) )who he lived with in his later years, and all leads turned out to be dead ends.

I would hate to think of those amazing films sitting in some garage or worse getting eaten by mice.

His winter sea duck trips were more like white knuckle adventures! I was never allowed to go b/c I was deemed too young. But I knew several seasoned hunters (some who saw action in WWII) who went along, and most retunred saying it was the most frightening trip of their lives!

Back in the late 60s, his shop on Green Street once didn't open for several days in mid July. :confused: Nobody knew where Paul was? :huh: Something had to have happened.

Paul got a report of enormous bluefish going nuts on Muskegut Island, and arranged to be dropped off by plane, with a pilot he didn't know at all. Long story short. Pilot was supposed to drop Paul off the night before, right at dusk, and Paul was going to fish all the next day, get picked up, and return the following day. Signals got crossed, and the pilot never returned. Paul spent the next three days and nights on Muskegut, baking in the mid summer sun, eating bluefish he cooked over a fire, and drinking the few cans of soda he brought.

He survived, laughed it of, and returned to his shop like nothing happened. :snr:

I remember his movie with the monkey when he took a little fur of the monkey to tie fies with . The expression on the monkey face was a Classic.

FishHawk

My dad made movies in the early sixties of fishing trips he took the Explorer Scouts on in Canada. I was a bit to young to go. Haven't thought about those movies for decades until I read this post. Have to try and find them now.

Walked by a tackle shop often while I was at Clark in the 60's on the way to a Green St. bar. Never went it. Funny what you miss in life.

Believe it or not, I've spent the past 10 years trying to track those movies down. I knew a couple of Paul's old friends (and one old girl frriend ;) )who he lived with in his later years, and all leads turned out to be dead ends.

I would hate to think of those amazing films sitting in some garage or worse getting eaten by mice.

God, I hope you can find them. They probably are just sitting someplace, totally forgotten. I'm sure he wouldn't have tossed them away. I wonder what happened to everything that was in his shop when it closed down.

I saw some of his movies years ago and did hear that the Fly Tiers club has the movies. The movies without his narration would not be the same. A "true one of a kind". Just think what he could do with digital.

Greetings--I just saw this thread on Paul Kukonen. It brought back mamy memories. This is the time of year just prior to

fishing season when I think of Paul's films and talks.I sure do miss them. I just wanted to pass along say that on

my Raysfly website I've recently put up a Fishing in February and in it are several paragraphs about Paul and his films

along with a picture of fly he tied that he was famous for.: The Cardinale,

Regards

Ray Bondorew

Author of "Stripers and Streamers"

Greetings--I just saw this thread on Paul Kukonen. It brought back mamy memories. This is the time of year just prior to

fishing season when I think of Paul's films and talks.I sure do miss them. I just wanted to pass along say that on

my Raysfly website I've recently put up a Fishing in February and in it are several paragraphs about Paul and his films

along with a picture of fly he tied that he was famous for.: The Cardinale,

Regards

Ray Bondorew

Author of "Stripers and Streamers"

The Cardinale. I remember it well. A large hot pink streamer tied with maribou if I recall. That was the first fly Paul would try to sell someone when they walked into his shop. :laugh:

Ray, I think I know you? Were you friends with Warren Taylor from R.I. and the Palmer River?