Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GTOK

D.A.M, Quick 4000 Manual Pickup Conversion

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

[/b]6 hours, 27 minutes ago

GTOK

Here are some pictures of a D.A.M. Quick 4000 reel I converted to manual pickup. I used the origional pickup arm and a 6x30 stainless steel screw, some stainless steel washers, the origional line roller, a stainless steel locknut and a black plastic chair tip. I removed the nail from chair tip and drilled a small hole in the tip so screw would thread in tight,Then I epoxied the chair tip to the washer. I put a 6x30 washer on each side of roller. The line lay on reel is good and the spool balance is ok. The roller turns freely. The reel casts great. I made the pickup side plate from piece of aluminum and removed all of the bail operating parts from reel.. The cost was less than $5.00.

I got the screw, lock nut and washers at Ace Hardware.

Jerry

[img=

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2497024/width/600/height/338' alt='338'>

ABU'S GOTTA LOVE'EM !

DAM QUICK, DAMN GOOD, DAMN STRAIGHT

"FISH TO MUCH? CAN'T BE DONE"

HEMINGWAY

ReplyQuote Multi

post #2 of 2 4 hours, 23 minutes ago

Alan Hawk

MCMXXVII

You make it sound easy but it definitely isn't. You, sir, are a talented engineer!

Thanks for sharing and catch big

Nice job, had the same reel many years ago then they first came, like all the quick good workmanship, didn't hold on to it it had a very bad wobble, that was before l started to tinker with then and doing mod. would of been a quick today. Waving a hand to you GTOK. :wave:

If it helps anybody on the smaller finessa model I drilled the original bail screw hole out and inserted this two part copper tunnel screw that freely spins, for a buck it forms a perfect manual conversion. They come in many sizes and will work on all quicks. Thanks for the inspiration ..

One of a kind, most fisherman are trying to keep the water out, well if it gets in it wont stay for long.

water wont kill a reel, the grime that gets trapped in will, your exactly right, these old quicks are a bit different they have limited gearing and not a lot to keep maintained.., if you keep the one single internal shaft clean and lubed, the reel spins through everything, ..i've fished this open face design for over a year now, when guys drill up top, it still allows water and grime to travel through the central shaft and bearing so your end result is 1 inch of sand and crap stuck in your grease, I keep this grease free and just shoot it with a silicon based lube daily when i fish it.. Seems to not trap the grime in the grease and keeps the reel spinning great.. If anything fails i can see it, and buy another 4 buck German bearing yearly.. Guys get so concerned with crap getting in the reel , but i don't drop any of my reels on land on a daily basis, the water wont hurt it.. thanks for the comment, On a side note i've been contacted by several major reel co's inquiring if open gearing designs will last since they have seen mine.. Don't be amazed if you see it in the near future.. G.J..