Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter M

Mitchell 302

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hello all. I am new to this board and have some questions about Mitchell 302 reels. I almost exclusively fly fish and know almost nothing about spinning tackle. My father-in-law has an old Mitchell 302 reel that is in nearly perfect condition (it looks like it has never been used). What uses are these reels good for? Do they make good surf reels, inshore bay fishing? He wants me to build a rod for him to match the reel. I picked out the Rainshadow popping blank, IP844 before seeing the reel and now wonder if the reel is too big for the rod. If the reel is too big, what reels are a good match? What rods are a good match for the 302 reel?

Thanks,

Peter

The 302 is a very dependable reel. It was the premier surf reel of the late 40s, 50s and early 60s, before Penn's Spinfisher 700 series came out. I caught my first stripers and blues on my dad's 302.

However, it's way to big to hang off a 7' popping rod. Rods in the 9-11 foot range are better matches for it.

For a 7' rod, some good choices are a 4000 size Shimano (eg, Spheros, Stradic, Sustain, etc), a Penn SSg 4500, or a Daiwa Tournament SS 1600.