Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishdoc

JUST AN OBSERVATION

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Nothing to do with building but rather preserving what we build. I always rinse all of my plugs after a day on the water (In my fishdoc plug "bag") and hang it outside to dry. Took it down a few days ago after plenty of dry time. One plug fell out and I noticed a wet spot on the deck. I tipped the plug forward and a good amount of water still flowed from the plug. All of the plugs are in the bag tail end down. When I epoxy the plugs I always pay particular attention to the tail and nose grommet. The belly grommet gets its share of epoxy, BUT the hole is still there. Never crossed my mind that water entering through the belly hole would remain in the plugs long after the exterior of the plug was dry. I removed all of the plugs from the "bag" and tipped them over and sure enough water came out of most of them. HOWEVER, there is some good that comes from this...It tells me that my long soaking times in the Val Oil/MS mix and dipping my plugs in an oil based primer/sealer/MS mix is WORKING QUITE WELL. Obviously the water that remains in the plugs (at least some of it) is not being absorbed into the wood. I've posted before about my extensive soak times and some have said it's over kill. I was beginning to believe them..BUT with this observation I'll continue to use extended sealer soak times and dipping in primer as opposed to spraying it on. Had a small needle split on me a while back as I was wiring it. Kind of cool to see the entire through hole all white with the primer. As far as I'm concerned ACTION is the key to the effectiveness of any plug. You can paint all of the pretty designs you want on a plug, but if it doesn't have good action, then all you have is a cool paint job on a useless plug. Needle fish...OK knock yourself out with the paint. It's kind of hard to screw up the action of a relatively action-less plug. Oh you can get action from a tail hook dressed needle but its user influenced. :th:

Missing my point Bill. :confused: I THINK the water remained in this plug BECAUSE it was well (I'd be willing to wager better than most) seald BOTH INSIDE as well as on the surface. Let me try to explain again why I think it's NOT OVERKILL to soak for long periods. Some time ago there was a very interesting thread about water absoption etc. with some real neat looking graphs etc. etc. Very impressive. Here was my "graph"....I was fishing a very active school of school bass(some fish to 35 inches mixed in) one day (back when there WERE active schools :) ) with one of my spooks. They were hammering it. Then as if someone flipped a switch the bite stopped. I could still see swirls in the bait so the fish were still actively feeding, JUST NOT ON MY OFFERING. I handled the plug to see if there was some kind of poblem. The sucker looked just like the day I finish epoxying (with a lot less epoxy and paint) but as I held it I said to myself "Man this feels heavier than I remember making it." Fortunately I had another but because it was a diffrerent color I was sure it would not produce like the solid white one in my hand. I snapped on this DRY SOLID YELLOW plug and let fly. The first couple of twitches and it was nailed. Accidental??? Bait in water changed color??? Different fish moved in liked yellow better??? I doubt that these 3 scenarios or any other made the slightest difference...IT WAS THE ACTION OF THE PLUG THAT MADE IT WORK!!! Since that day about 4 years ago my primary objective in building a plug has had NOTHING to do with color (unless it's the Match-The-Hatch mini needles that I build). If I have the energy and can figure out how to post on this new fangled set up I'll show you a few of the plugs that have had the crap beat out of them for the past 2 weeks(sorry will not spot burn and piss off people) as well as some diferent action plugs that were fished right along with them even in the same friggin' colors and it looks like I just took some out of my packaging and they've been fished for 2 + days STRICKTLY as a test about COLOR vs ACTION I really don't give 2 maybe even 3 diddlies how anyone seals a plug. But you can bet you sweet keester that I'm going to continue doing what I do! REMEMBER ACTION...ACTION ACTION!!!!

DOC