Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GTOK

D.A.M. Quick 4000 conversion

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Here are some pictures of a D.A.M. Quick 4000 reel I converted to manual pickup. I used the origional pickup arm and a 6x30 stainless steel screw, some stainless steel washers, the origional line roller, a stainless steel locknut and a black plastic chair tip. I removed the nail from chair tip and drilled a small hole in the tip so screw would thread in tight,Then I epoxied the chair tip to the washer. I put a 6x30 washer on each side of roller. The line lay on reel is good and the spool balance is ok. The roller turns freely. The reel casts great. I made the pickup side plate from piece of aluminum and removed all of the bail operating parts from reel.. The cost was less than $5.00.

I got the screw, lock nut and washers at Ace Hardware.

Jerry

[img=

a><a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2496263/width/600/height/338' alt='338'>

Alan,

Thank you for the complement, coming from you I feel honored.

For some reason the guys on this site do not seemed to be interested in D.A.M. Quick reels.

They seem to think they are to heavy and slow, but I could be wrong.

I guess if they loved like they love Penn 704's then they would be out of sight on Ebay.

Thanks,

Jerry

They failed to gain popularity in America because they caused fighting and many friendships ended because of them. Hearing your friend say "give me the dam reel" or "put the dam reel down" is eventually going to get on your nerves :D

Nah, despite the classic Penn reels being largely inspired by DAM design, it's just logical that with parts made locally and the big service network, Penn would rule. No one wants to send their reel across the country or wait for parts to come from Germany. Those Quick reels though carry a special sort of magic and nostalgic old world craftsmanship that make my heart pump funny whenever I hold one :)

Alan,

Just think how much fun an 8 year old boy had telling his friends about dad's or grandpa's dam fishing reels. I kind of like saying it myself if anyone asks, "it's a D.AM. Quick reel", kind of has a nice ring to it!

Maybe one reason D.A.M. Quick reels are not made anymore is that they were to damn good. They never seam to wear out or breakdown, so a fisherman never needed to replace them and they just hand them down to their kids and grandkids so they never need to buy their reels. If you make things that never need replacing sooner or later you will not need to make anymore.

They are very easy to service so you don't need to send them in for service like most of todays reels. The only part I have replaced is bail springs and they are the same in most cases as Penn springs.

Jerry

This is very true, but not for all of them. The ones that had a plastic spool were a pain in the ass; The spools would crack and trap line and the reel becomes as good as a rock. Fully metal ones though were something else. I talked before about my Quick Super that served three generations of my family for about 50 years and the "dam" thing is still going strong with tight gears and the only things ever changed in it were bail spring and drag washers!!

They are still made today indeed and their 2012 catalogue has just gone online, but they're made in China by the new owners of the company (Svendsen Sport) and, with the exception of the flagship FD, the reels are of average quality at best.

Magnetic Drag System :love: