Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drc

Going back to Fire Line

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

Tried the fancy braids and I'm done. Tired of the break offs in the the rocks and it they hurt my finger when I cast:shock:. Going back to Fire Line next year, fyi. It may look beat up after a few outings but here's one vote for old school.

I had great success using the original FireLine some 15yr's ago (the stuff that got the fuzzies).  Lasted for years on my spinning reels. How do the product of today differ ???

I am using 50lb Cortland Master Braid on my conventionals and on a couple of spinning reels. But, I have 30lb Fireline on the rest and have no complaints. I still think it's my favorite at least on spinning reels. I'm with you.

I had great success using the original FireLine some 15yr's ago (the stuff that got the fuzzies).  Lasted for years on my spinning reels. How do the product of today differ ???

Ya know. It still gets fuzzy and looks like it could break at any moment but it never does. 20# for light tackle and 30# for heavier stuff and yer good to go. Just too many unexplained break offs when fishing around rocks with the braids for me. Power Pro mostly.

;)Why bother with braid's nonsense when you're up to your waste in the suds or perched on a tiny rock in the dark when Fireline 20# is all you need for most shore fishing.

By the way... from what I'm finding, the 30lb has gotten quite pricey. $170 or up for a 1500 yard spool.

It's not easy to find either, maybe I should keep quiet.

Ya know. It still gets fuzzy and looks like it could break at any moment but it never does. 20# for light tackle and 30# for heavier stuff and yer good to go. Just too many unexplained break offs when fishing around rocks with the braids for me. Power Pro mostly.

20 pound is nearly as strong as the 30 and if you take a look at an article called (breaking points) a few years back they both have a breaking point average of over 50 pounds. When i tested them a while back i got the same results.

I think it's still by far the most user friendly regarding spinners. It has not changed over the years except for the color change with Crystal, it's still fused Dyneema, braided fireline is not the same thing.

20 pound is nearly as strong as the 30 and if you take a look at an article called (breaking points) a few years back they both have a breaking point average of over 50 pounds. When i tested them a while back i got the same results.

I think it's still by far the most user friendly regarding spinners. It has not changed over the years except for the color change with Crystal, it's still fused Dyneema, braided fireline is not the same thing.

Yes, but I find the Crystal to be a totally different animal. Don't expect it to perform like the original AT ALL.

Yes, but I find the Crystal to be a totally different animal. Don't expect it to perform like the original AT ALL.

It's the same stuff, but i have found Fireline to not be as consistent whether it be Crystal or regular , and it has varied over the years in it's breaking strengths for me, and i'm talking about brand new spools.

When Crystal was just being shown to tackle shops, the salesman spooled up a 706Z for me at no charge and asked me to use it and report back. I did not like it as well... can't quite remember what was different about it and I thought it was more visible in the water than the smoke is. So I have not used it again.

When Crystal was just being shown to tackle shops, the salesman spooled up a 706Z for me at no charge and asked me to use it and report back. I did not like it as well... can't quite remember what was different about it and I thought it was more visible in the water than the smoke is. So I have not used it again.

Crystal needs to be broken in like the smoke and green lines, and it's not transparent like it's marketed, it's white to me, but i'm half color blind.