Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

In the market for a new tv. Advice needed

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

My present tv has given me 19 years of excellent service. Not a single issue in all that time. However, there are signs of late that the end may be nearer than I realize.

I'm interested in a 40-45" flat screen. Been casually looking the past couple weeks, and the choices and prices ranges are quite confusing. :confused: In looking at the picture quality only, high price did not always assure an excellent picture.

So, ADVICE NEEDED! :read:

What should I be looking at technically?

tia

BTW, I have dish network

plasma has a nice picture but the glare off the screen can be terrible so I would stay away, even though price can be tempting.

DLP uses a bulb that requires replacement and while cheaper than LED, the picture quality isn't as good as the high scan rate LEDs and as the bulb intensity reduces over it's life, so does picture quality. Again price can be tempting.

I have 3 new sonys and I went with the entry level 3D capable tvs only because the current year model 3D tv's have double the refresh rate than the same tv without 3D, the higher refresh rate makes high speed stuff(ie: football/action movies) look alot better.

The various brands differ in the options related to wifi connectivity and internet on screen interface with the samsungs having the most bells and whistles which will cost more. I didn't care about that so sony it was and the picture is great.

They do make high end 3d and entry level 3d, I went with the entry level since refresh rate was the same, picture quality seemed on par and I didn't care about the added bells and whistles

If you go with the sony 3d, once you've negotiated price on the set, ask them to throw in the free pair of 3d glasses and movie. Sony provides this to them so it's no skin off their back. If you have grand kids, the 3D will keep em busy since most of the available content at this time is animated.

go to the cnet site and look around a little at the tv buyers guide

from personal experience, unless you have crazy direct sun exactly at the tv, plasmas are an excellent choice

and you can see them from the side, as opposed to lcd which you can't and led which isn't worth the $$

stick with major brands, panasonic, samsung, etc.

i have 2 panasonic plasmas (42" and a 50") zero issues, great picture and cheaper than most lcd and definitely led

get your cables online from monoprice

you can get something in the size you want for under $700 and I have seen them on sale for $500

if it within your drive P.C Richard & son is have the annual employee price sale this weekend till the close of sunday. I work for the co its no joke - they do it every year couse people stop spending waiting for the black friday sales. we have a store at the very top of conn. off 95, on theweb site and see if there is one within your driving distance. as far as type if you need the latest and greatest then you will want a led tv if not then a lcd will be just as good. pick one that is in the middle , every class of tv "lets say lg 55" has about 6 models from basic to high end so you really have to compare # for # when shopping around - you cant say - well walmart has a 55" samsung for $749 - and bobs tv is $ 899 ? you need to know your model #s . if you can make it to a P.C. send me a pm and I will call ahead and set you up with a mngr.

I just bought a Toshiba 40" LED (mod. 40SL412U). I love it. Great picture. Cost me $599. I've had it for 4 weeks and the picture quality just blows my mind. :love: I did a lot of research and posted here for info, this is what I found. Plasma is old technology, that's why their prices are generally lower. LED's are really LCD's that use LED back lighting that last longer and much cheaper to run.

I've got a Panasonic Plazma that's been great for 5 years, awsome picture. Down side is it uses a lot of power and runs hot. I refinished my basement for the kids and put a 40" LED in there and that picture is incredible, I think it uses less power too. Id go with LED.

You can also check the web site for home theater magazine. They have some pretty comprehensive evaluation of several different price ranges and size classes. Good reviews. Also look at the crutchfield web site.

I just bought a Toshiba 40" LED (mod. 40SL412U). I love it. Great picture. Cost me $599. I've had it for 4 weeks and the picture quality just blows my mind. :love: I did a lot of research and posted here for info, this is what I found. Plasma is old technology, that's why their prices are generally lower. LED's are really LCD's that use LED back lighting that last longer and much cheaper to run.

just to give you an idea this weekend that tv is $449 at Pc

A plasma tv will give you the best picture...better blacks (shadow detail) than a LCD, won't get motion artifacts and can be viewed off axis. But they are heavier, run hot, use more power and unless in a darkened room you will see glare from the screen. Plasma is a good choice for a dedicated home theater.

If your looking for best picture quality from an LCD you will want to look at LED LCD's. With regular LCD's the whole screen is back lit which results in blacks that are not really black more dark grey. LCD's that use LED for back lighting can be dimmed locally ( parts of the screen that are meant to be dark the LED's are dimmed or not lit and parts of the screen that are bright the LED's are lit) which gives you better blacks and shadow detail than a regular LCD. LED's cost more. The higher the refresh rate (120hz) you won't get motion artifacts in fast moving scenes.

I like tv's with a lot of HDMI inputs because it cuts the wire clutter. HDMI passes picture and audio in one wire.

I do home theater installations as a side job once and a while. To answer your question, technically you want to look for a high contrast ratio, high refresh rate(LCD), and a lot of inputs. Stick with a major name brand.

Pioneer used to make the best flat panels...the Kuro line. They were and still are considered the best picture quality and if you can still find one used....snatch it! They stopped making flat panels years ago and stuck with audio products only. A lot of their engineers moved to Panasonic when they stopped making flatt panels, so if you decide for a plasma look at Panasonic.

Samsung builds some great TV's. We have 3 and they all came from Amazon. Very special delivery and the prices are super with no sales tax.

I had a Toshiba rear projection tv for about 6 years. Replaced the bulb about every 14 months. The color wheel had to be cleaned often and was just generally a PIA/POS. I' bought a Panasonic 42" plasma for my bedroom, and liked it so much that I bought a 50" Panasonic plasma to replace the Toshiba. They are both great TV's. My kids both have Samsung 27" LCD's in their rooms, and I like my plasma picture better. I bought both plasma's at Best Buy for under $800 each. Hooked up high def cable service and I'm amazed at how sharp a television picture can be.