Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tony C

Personal Flotation Devices and Surf Fishing

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

In light of the recent tragedy, a drowning at the Shark River Inlet, I was wondering.......how many of us use a PFD while surf fishing and what would you recommend? What other precautions can we take?

Hi Tony,

I went through the "research" (read through every single posting about PFD on this SOL site and many others) of PFD two months ago after a near death experience and ended up with the "Mustang MD3075 Inflatable Belt Pack" (cost was about $75), which I have been using it everytime I go fishing now, no matter if I fish on beach or on jetty. This is the picture of it:

md3075.jpg

It provides the standard 35lb buoyancy, very low profile. But it's a manual, not auto. I picked this one since it doesn't hinder my castings, and my surfbag won't cover it when I wear it. The downside is this is not an auto-deployed pfd, I will have to pull the inflation cord when I need it. I went for Mustang since it's a reputable brand name, but unfortunately they seem only have manual inflatable belt pack style PFD.

Many people recommended the Auto Hydrostatic Inflatable PFDs which gives better protection in scenario that you are knocked into water unconscious and not able to pull the cord, something like this (this is MD3183):

md3183.jpg

They provide the same 35lb buoyancy when deployed. The only worry I had with this kind of PFD was that my surfbag will be outside of this PFD and possible wear on the PFD's since the bag will rub it all the time. But I think some folks mentioned that was a not problem for them.

During my research, I even bought a life jacket style fishing jacket (Mazume Redmoon III, cost was about $220.00 + shipping), ordered from Japan with the help of my Japanese boss. That is a really nice jacket and with high quality, they provide 17.5lb buoyancy. I tried it couple of times, but the front pockets seem to hinder my reel retrieving, so I don't use it very often. I still prefer my belt pack style PFD. Here is a picture of these

mazume-mzlj-061-1.jpg

I would definitely recommend a PFD for any surf fisherman. Spending one or two hundreds dollars on something that could potentially give me a better chance to survive in those kind of incidents is far worth than buying a new reel or new rod. If we fish so often every year, those close calls or real incident will happen, sooner or later.

Be safe out there, enjoy life and enjoy fishing.

SG

What good is a PFD when the water is 55 degrees and you're more likely to die from hypothermia?

Im all for increasing chances of survival but a PFD in the surf? Do you think this will be any good with the water temps as cold as the are?

Its almost a catch 22 ....unless the PFD gives you enough time to swim back to shore....given that you're fishing conditions that would cause you to get swept out in the first place....

Hypothermia is the main concern when the water temperature is that low.

Assume, just assume, that a person can stand for 10min in the 55 degree water before losing conscious. With a PFD, one's head will be above water all the time and avoid taking waters and drowning during that period of time. The 35lb buoyancy will give the victim better chance to swim to the shore with less energy needed. Even after losing conscious due to hypothermia, the chances are the head will be still above water. If the help arrives in 13 min, there is still good chance to survive.

Without PFD, the victim will have to spend energy to keep float while trying to swim to the shore, when the hypothermia starts to set in, the victim will sink to the bottom and drowned, leave almost no chance to survive. When the help arrives in 13 min, they will have to search the body at the ocean bottom.

Of course, another important thing here is that someone else can call for help when incident happens. That is why the buddy system is so important, fishing alone in dangerous places is just taking too much risks.

In my opinion, anything can help save energy during this kind of incident will help. I'm pretty sure a victim will even try to grab a floating straw in those desperate situations, imagine what an object with 35lb buoyancy means to him.

On 11/20/2011 at 7:44 AM, SurfGazer said:

Hypothermia is the main concern when the water temperature is that low.

Assume, just assume, that a person can stand for 10min in the 55 degree water before losing conscious. With a PFD, one's head will be above water all the time and avoid taking waters and drowning during that period of time. The 35lb buoyancy will give the victim better chance to swim to the shore with less energy needed. Even after losing conscious due to hypothermia, the chances are the head will be still above water. If the help arrives in 13 min, there is still good chance to survive.

Without PFD, the victim will have to spend energy to keep float while trying to swim to the shore, when the hypothermia starts to set in, the victim will sink to the bottom and drowned, leave almost no chance to survive. When the help arrives in 13 min, they will have to search the body at the ocean bottom.

Of course, another important thing here is that someone else can call for help when incident happens. That is why the buddy system is so important, fishing alone in dangerous places is just taking too much risks.

In my opinion, anything can help save energy during this kind of incident will help. I'm pretty sure a victim will even try to grab a floating straw in those desperate situations, imagine what an object with 35lb buoyancy means to him.

does the auto trigger unit replaceable ?

i Got mine expired