Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cobia_slayer

New to fishing with LOTS of questions!

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have been using the leaders or drop rigs not really sure the exact name of it, where there is a spot for the weight on the bottom clip, and 2 clips for hooks. I have been putting on the hooks with the wire attached to them is this correct? or do you just put the hooks directly on the clips? Also, I feel like when it sinks it doesnt have a 'natural' look because the hooks and weight are constantly tangled around each other is there a way around this? am i just using the wrong setup? haha. Whenever I throw in the bait it seems like things keep biting it, but its just small nibbles and sometimes i try to set the hook but nothing happens, are these just small fish stealing bait? or am i trying to set the hook way to early?

sounds like the rig your describing is this one? if so, they do tangle up alot, not a very good investment IMO. what i reoccomend is to learn to make your own bottom rigs, its not very hard and in the long run cost less if you plan on using them a lot.

as far as the "natural look", when fishing with these types of rigs, thats the last thing on my mind. i assume your going for smaller food fish? if so, theyre generally not as picky as larger game fish and will readily eat shrimp and/or squid.

and Delray Beach, Fl? if so, try using live bait in the intercoastal, should be some snook, jacks, reds and tarpon in there

Thats exactly what I'm using. and it does get tangled a lot, i feel like the fish cant even get on the hook because its just wrapped around itself constantly. I am in delray beach, FL. I am trying to catch food fish but i would like to catch bigger ones than i have been catching. also what kind of bottom rigs do you recommend i learn to tie up? any recommendations on what live bait? what are some bigger game fish that are fun to get? any of them edible? lol i know i ask a lot but im like addicted to fishing now, trying to milk people for all their knowledge :) haha. THANKS!

Nick

Thats exactly what I'm using. and it does get tangled a lot, i feel like the fish cant even get on the hook because its just wrapped around itself constantly. I am in delray beach, FL. I am trying to catch food fish but i would like to catch bigger ones than i have been catching. also what kind of bottom rigs do you recommend i learn to tie up? any recommendations on what live bait? what are some bigger game fish that are fun to get? any of them edible? lol i know i ask a lot but im like addicted to fishing now, trying to milk people for all their knowledge :) haha. THANKS!

Nick

I'd say to go with the one speckhunter showed, mine are almost identical. I use 20-40lb mono depending on the fish. I was only in FL for 6 months this past spring/summer, so i myself am still learning about types of fish, bait ect.. I was fishing in a canal close to the Daytona area and caught jacks and mangrove snapper. All were on a carolina rig with a half ounce egg weight and a 2/0 circle hook and live finger mullet about 4"-6" for bait. I can't really go into depth, cause I'm still pretty new to fishing in Fl and have no clue on the regs and very little knowledge of the types of fish. I'm sure if you posted some of your questions in the florida forum, you'd get much better answers. But one thing i can say regaurdless of where you live, read up on the fishing regs and get to know the fish. Last thing you want is to be caught with illegal fish