Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJTramcar

Jig Weight

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have been out a couple of times the past few weeks and the ocean hasn't been all that rough but I have been reading how people are catching on 3 oz t-hex and heavier AVAs. I have been using a 1 oz t-hex and have caught sundials so I know I am getting to the bottom.

I am trying to understand why people are using heavier jigs. Is it to dig into the bottom more or for better distance?

I have been out a couple of times the past few weeks and the ocean hasn't been all that rough but I have been reading how people are catching on 3 oz t-hex and heavier AVAs. I have been using a 1 oz t-hex and have caught sundials so I know I am getting to the bottom.

I am trying to understand why people are using heavier jigs. Is it to dig into the bottom more or for better distance?

my guess is to get "past the bar"

The swell in the last week has been pretty big and the fish are holding near the bottom...on top of that you need to get it way out there to catch fish. It makes sense to use a heavier one. Not like it matters though 95% of the people i see out there think they are trout fishing in a creek by the way they cast. Put some beef into your cast and maybe you'll catch something. Fishing with metal other than real tin is the stupidest way to catch bass. It should be a crime to fish this way.