Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tony44

Oil company Question

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

If an Oil Company that you had once contracted but are no longer associated with "accidently" drops 100 gallons of heating oil into your tank, are you obligated to pay for the oil? What say you? They are billing at 406 a gallon right now.

Legally obligated, probably not. At the same time, they can always come and suck up 100 gallons out of your tank.

Simple solution. Offer to pay them what you would normally would pay your current oil company for 100 gallons.

Life is too short to bust balls over stuff like this. It's not like you can't use the oil, right?

Legally obligated, probably not. At the same time, they can always come and suck up 100 gallons out of your tank.

Simple solution. Offer to pay them what you would normally would pay your current oil company for 100 gallons.

Life is too short to bust balls over stuff like this. It's not like you can't use the oil, right?

Actually, I'm thinking right along with your train of thought. Its the advise of some friends that has me wondering....

[quote name="Kings over Queens" url="/t/825390/oil-company-question#post_8781506

+1.

The delivery guy will catch all the heat for the mistake and lose his job.

He will sit at home watching The View, thinking dark thoughts, and drinking gin.

After a few weeks his money will start to run out and he will rob a convenience store.

After a few more weeks pass he will graduate to robbing banks.

During this time he will pick up a nasty drug habit.

He will get high and kill someone in a paranoid rage.

When the cops ask him why he did it he will give them your name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kings over Queens View Post

^ Probably the best way to go. Call 3 local oil companies, find out what they're charging, and pay the best market price, they really can't bitch.

I guess technically, they gifted it to you, but a pain in the ass battle over $400 isn't even close to worth it in my book.

The delivery guy will catch all the heat for the mistake and lose his job.

He will sit at home watching The View, thinking dark thoughts, and drinking gin.

After a few weeks his money will start to run out and he will rob a convenience store.

After a few more weeks pass he will graduate to robbing banks.

During this time he will pick up a nasty drug habit.

He will get high and kill someone in a paranoid rage.

When the cops ask him why he did it he will give them your name.

can't stop laughing....:D

What advice did your friends give?

And I quote...."F them, don't pay em" Stuff along those lines. I'm just going to offer 345 which is what I was just offered by another company.

the same thing happened to me, years ago in the summer so i really didn't need the oil. they topped me off. I forget exactly how much, but somewhere in the 150-200 gallon range. I made a deal with them and told them i would pay the lowest price per gallon posted within 3 months before the act and 3 months after the act- they said fine. I just bought oil from them last week, first time in a long time.

As far as gauging goes, someone doesn't have a clue. My wife now works for a oil company that sells it to dealers who in turn sell it to you. 1st the dealer has to pay in full within 10 days max,-otherwise they are shut off from "picking up" more oil & have to now buy that oil at a much higher price. However more often than not the terms are NET 1 day, cash (certified check) or bank draft. Oil that is currently being sold to you at a cash price, say $3.55 is often bought hours earlier or the previous day earlier at about $3.22 -$3.27 per gallon. Most smaller neighborhood oil dealers often have a equity loan against there house or property during the winter months to keep the banks happy. Most of the oil trucks you see on the road hold 10000 gallons+ or $35000 sloshing around inside of it. of course some of the dealers have diverisivied themselves to carry propane LP and diesel for example. Most have contracts in place for schools, hospitals even fishing boat fleets

Basically its a crappy, low margin commodity business- any money made is usually service oriented. Furnace cleaning, emergency fill ups.

Lets say Joe blow oil dealers fills up 5 customers with 200 gallons each, 1000 gallons x 3.25 = $3250, next he sells to you for 3.55 = 3555. The net profit is $305.... and thats assuming all 5 residences pay at Net 1 or COD, which often does not happen.

BTW way the same goes for the gas stations, that gallon of gas- he's lucky if he makes 8-10 cents per gallon on that.

Selling Oil just keeps the lights on for most. and that most gets fewer and fewer by the day.....