Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nipsip

A Guide To Understanding OWS's Issue

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Imagine if you will that there are only 100 people in the USA, 100 houses, $100, and 100 shares of stock.

So, if one guy owned 51 shares of the stock, 40 of the houses, and 25 dollars and this one guy five or six of his friends owned 80 shares of stock, 70 houses and 50 of the dollars, how would the other 95-99 people feel?

I am guessing different individuals would feel different emotions.  So it would be best to handle this as a case by case basis.

Imagine if you will that there are only 100 people in the USA, 100 houses, $100, and 100 shares of stock.

So, if one guy owned 51 shares of the stock, 40 of the houses, and 25 dollars and this one guy five or six of his friends owned 80 shares of stock, 70 houses and 50 of the dollars, how would the other 95-99 people feel?

: How did the One guy and his friends wind up with a majority of shares? did it just happen or did someone somehow work for their acheivement?

:bucktooth:

I'll do ya one better:

: How did the One guy and his friends wind up with a majority of shares? did it just happen or did someone somehow work for their acheivement?

:bucktooth:

I'll do ya one better:

Did you ever consider that this growing inequality is the flip side of something else, shrinking opportunity? Probably not. How about all that monopoly power and preferential tax treatment for special interests, don't you think that is undermining the efficiency of the economy? Probably never thought about that either.

You also probably did not consider the guy and his 5 or 6 friends are not really interested in and don’t need to rely on government for parks, education, medical care, personal security and are more interested in keeping more of their money than seeing the government spend it on infrastructure (look at the condition of our highways and bridges, our railroads and airports as compared to "Old Europe"), on basic research, on education at all levels and on healthcare.

You want to know how the rich became richer, well the government helped them. All that money buys lobbyists and if you take a look at tax law, lax enforcement of anti-trust laws, and manipulation of the financial system (which was bought and paid for by the financial system) thru lax regulation and enforcement.

The Conservative Supreme Court has forever has enshrined the right of corporations to buy government, by removing limitations on campaign spending. Corporations thanks to the Conservative Supreme Court are people and money is speech.

And shrinking opportunity is what - the fault of wall street? Give me a break the protesters havent a clue as to what they want other than to be a disturbance.

Wall street played the game that the government established the rules for. Dont like the game? Dont protest wall street but protest against the government - but we all know these people dont want to do that they want to show fake anger

Did you ever consider that this growing inequality is the flip side of something else, shrinking opportunity? Probably not. How about all that monopoly power and preferential tax treatment for special interests, don't you think that is undermining the efficiency of the economy? Probably never thought about that either.

You also probably did not consider the guy and his 5 or 6 friends are not really interested in and don’t need to rely on government for parks, education, medical care, personal security and are more interested in keeping more of their money than seeing the government spend it on infrastructure (look at the condition of our highways and bridges, our railroads and airports as compared to "Old Europe"), on basic research, on education at all levels and on healthcare.

You want to know how the rich became richer, well the government helped them. All that money buys lobbyists and if you take a look at tax law, lax enforcement of anti-trust laws, and manipulation of the financial system (which was bought and paid for by the financial system) thru lax regulation and enforcement.

The Conservative Supreme Court has forever has enshrined the right of corporations to buy government, by removing limitations on campaign spending. Corporations thanks to the Conservative Supreme Court are people and money is speech.

You mean like the 10's of millions of dollars BHO got from AFL/CIO, NEA, UFT, UAW, SEIU. You mean that kind of corporate money? Or is that OK because they represent "the middle class", "working families".

Of course, my wife and I work but since we make more than some BS number somebody came up with we're not a "middle class working family". what a joke.

Did you ever consider

You are presenting a situation and then modifying the facts to suit your position after you've been shown the stupidity of your premise.

What shrinking opportunity? Plenty of opportunity out there if you get off your ass and look. I am proof.

In 2002 everything I owned was destroyed.

In 2008 the firm i worked for went belly-up

2008-2011 I worked to rebuild, modify and recreate my objectives in order to seize available opportunities.

I am better off based on my own doings rather than crying like some infant that life is Unfair.

If you need a government to "level the playing field" or inject you with an ersatz panacea of "fairness", maybe you should move to Europe where the almighty governement collective is blowing the fail horn long and loud...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipsip View Post

Lazy. If they wanted to earn their share, they could work for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipsip View Post

You also probably did not consider the guy and his 5 or 6 friends are not really interested in and don’t need to rely on government for parks, education, medical care,

Blah, blah, blah, even though they pay a much bigger share than most, and 47% pay nothing, for such things.

How about we look at the 47% who don't pay a frickin thing and are lazily, scummily, hopping a free ride? I hold the lazy in far greater disdain than i do those who actually earned their income, and any normal thinking person would agree, unless they themselves like being in the 47%, the scummy/lazy crowd.

I am long 100 shares of stock at $50.

You are flat and have no interest in the company that I own.

3 years later the stock is worth $3 per share.

I think it's unfair that I refused to sell my shares during the 3 years but I also refuse to take a loss or respond to a margin call.

I will ask the government to force my loss onto your books.

Once the government makes everything "fair" for me, I will open a margin account and buy moar stock.

Is that fair? According to nipsip it is... :bucktooth:

who cares? they are Dems

Did you ever consider

You are presenting a situation and then modifying the facts to suit your position after you've been shown the stupidity of your premise.

What shrinking opportunity? Plenty of opportunity out there if you get off your ass and look. I am proof.

In 2002 everything I owned was destroyed.

In 2008 the firm i worked for went belly-up

2008-2011 I worked to rebuild, modify and recreate my objectives in order to seize available opportunities.

I am better off based on my own doings rather than crying like some infant that life is Unfair.

If you need a government to "level the playing field" or inject you with an ersatz panacea of "fairness", maybe you should move to Europe where the almighty governement collective is blowing the fail horn long and loud...

AMEN SG!

I got out of college in 1992 with a finance degree. Wall Street was dead so I took at job in a totally different industry for a whopping $18K a year.

5 years later i decided that business was going nowhere so I put myself (alot of $$$) through training that I attended every night after working from 5AM-4 PM, 5 days a week, 5 hours a night for over a year.

Got an entry level job on Wall Street in technology making peanuts (barely covered my clothes and commute).

4 years later, that firm was bought by another firm and I had to prove myself all over again.

5 years later, the new firm went bankrupt and was acquired by another firm. I lost a TON of money that I had killed myself to make and save, but I started over again. Opportunity is there, you just have to bust your butt to get somewhere, and yes, dust yourself off and keep trying when things don't go your way.

We went without plenty along the way. I racked up some scary debt too but those were my choices. I didn't expect anybody to help me. I did it myself and it's extremely rewarding.

Now somebody who doesn't know me wants to come along and tell me I don't pay my fair share? They can go to hell. I've EARNED everything I have.

Capitalism IS NOT A ZERO SUM GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the BUSINESS world, wealth is created not transferred. Only the govt can transfer wealth from one person to another where there is a winner and a loser. I'm am so sick of how intellectually STUPID people are when it comes to basic economic issues. Get a clue!

If they are smart they should feel like they'd better grab a hammer, nails and some 2X4's. If they are dumb, they feel like sitting in a park for 2 months and getting used to taking dumps behind Ho-Yips. Occupy Wall Street is good on the job training for homelessness.