Anyone Worked with Tungsten

Rate this topic

flshark

I am wondering if anyone has made their on sinkers, jig heads or plugs using tungsten instead of lead. I know it has a higher mass and there for you can get more weight in less space. Never worked with the stuff, but wondering if it is a reasonable material to use.

Also, if you know of an suppliers who either sell it in bulk or currently make jig heads I would love to hear from you.

Hi.

I once tried using tungsten beads for trout flies. Not worth the cost, so I went back to lead wire.

Pure tungsten has a really high melting point, way over 3,000 C, maybe with the right alloy mix this could be brought down to a sensible temperature for diy molding. But before buying anything tungsten based for making jigs I suggest finding out the melting point of the alloy.

Tungsten alloys are also going to be very expensive compared to lead or tin. The price is going to be in dollars per oz even if purchased in bulk.

Cheers - Lurch .

"We are all artists when we pick up a rod, and what we tie on the end is our paintbrush." - Russ Bassdozer

I have some tungsten shot that I have used for plug body weights. It was not cheap. It has a small diameter so I thought I'd be able to pack a plug's belly hole full of it and get an equivelant weight per hole as a solid piece of lead, even though there is space between the shot. Never really worked out. The space between the shot turned out to greatly reduce the density so that I was making larger holes than I would with lead. I think Lurch is right regarding melting point. I'm pretty sure the melting point is the highest of all metals.