Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

It's a Sunny, Chilly Friday

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

About 35 here going only to 47. Warming up for the weekend with sun, then cooling down next week with rain or snow showers on Wednesday for Turkey Travel Day, but Turkey Day itself should be sunny.

So, whatchya making?

Since I ate take-out type food all week last week, we are fore-going it today, and I am making fishcakes out of the striper meat I poached off the rack. Will have that either with a salad or maybe some steamed local corn I have in the freezer.

Tomorrow I am doing the turkey thing......have a 14 pound bird that is going in brine today. It will go with the usual creamed pearl onions, beans and spatzles, stuffing (made OUTSIDE the bird), and turkey gravy.

For Sunday, I guess I am going to attempt to get a rib roast even though they are a bit more expensive at $6.99/lb than I would like. Usually they are $4.99-$5.99/lb this time of year, but $6.99 was the best price I saw. That will go with salad and potatoes Au Gratin.

Monday Donna works late, so will probably heat up some frozen lasagna for me.

Tuesday and Wednesday, one day will be leftover turkey, either sandwiches or Tettrazinni, and the other day probably fajitas with the leftover rib roast.

Turkey Day am doing my usual Boneless Roast Duck with Cabernet Sauce, egg noodles and salad.

What are YOU making? Whatever it is, have a SAFE and HAPPY Thanksgiving.....:)

T-minus seven to T-Day. Cooking will be minimal except for pre-T-Day prep. I'll let my lovely wife handle it while I plan and execute.

Wife picked up a few new cooks books, and that usually results in a disaster. :laugh: She's on a vegan kick now, to reduce our "meat" consumption. When she says this I usually tell her "I gotz ur meat right here" (in my best brooklyn) and grab my package. :shock: All I know is tonight we are eating beans in some form, which is OK but will make the children cry. :laugh:

Tomorrow is pizza night and I've already been informed I have to make her a pie that doesn't have cheese. :rolleyes: I'll make a starter tonight for some ciabatta and tomorrow will fry up some eggplant and make some capponata for apps, brocholi rabe, etc, so forth. We gonna eat tomorrow.

No idea on Sunday yet. Was going to do a trial turkey run in the WSM until I realized that Thanksgiving is next Thursday and I simply can't eat Turkey on Sunday and Thursday of the same week, so that's out.

Leftover braised beef shanks tonight and tomorrow. I am thinking on frying a little turkey on Sunday as we are at friend's for T-Day. Anybody still fishing South Shore?- macks? cod? stripers?

Wife roasted a 10# pre-turkey day bird yesterday.

I removed and sliced the breast for her to have for sandwiches.

All of the rest of the meat is going into "White Chili"

Carcass and roasting pan drippings with onion and celery to make a nice stock.

Cubed the meat up and set aside.

Saute' onions and the last of the poblanos from the garden with garlic and cumin.

Add the stock, diced tomato meat, and cannellini beans...meat goes in last so it doesn't fall apart.

Fishing in a Rockfish (Striper) tournament on Sunday. My son and the guys are pre-fishing today, first day for real tomorrow (this is when they will find the fish for me).

Sunday I get to show up with the chili, go directly to the pre-scouted hot spot, catch a money fish and get back to the dock to eat some chili and watch the game.

This is why you have children.

Ham and bean church supper tonight.

Tomorrow, chowder (with NO bay leaves). :p

Sorry to hear you are out of them Ditch................and if that is not the case, then it is sad that you haven't learned from Mr. Foley over all these years, since I know how you have raved about his lobster chowder in the past.........while Paul wouldn't give up that recipe, I can't imagine it is much different that this:

STRIPED BASS CHOWDER

PFF

This recipe uses lobster oil, which is quite difficult to come by, but if you can get it, it adds a lot of flavor. If not, just substitute olive oil, and the results will be almost as good. Also, I find that potato starch is a better thickener than a standard roux, and does not have to be combined with oil beforehand to avoid lumps, and can be less grainy. But a standard roux works fine as well.

4 Ounces salt pork. The salt pork must be meaty, with the rind removed, and the meat/fat cut into 1/2" dice.

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter

Lobster Oil (This is difficult to find and may be omitted and substituted with olive oil)

2 Medium onions, diced

2 Carrots, diced

2 - 3 Stalks celery, diced

2 - 3 Thinly sliced leeks

1 Tablespoon fresh summer savory leaves or fresh thyme, chopped

2 Bay leaves

2 Pounds Maine Gold potatoes, diced

Fresh fish stock or canned chicken broth, as needed (if you use the canned broth, do not shake the can, and pour it such that fat stays in the can)

Kosher Salt

Black and/or White Pepper to taste

1 12 ounce can evaporated milk

3 Pounds striped bass fillets, cut in chunks

2 Cups Half and Half

Whatever type of thickener you prefer. I use potato starch (arrowroot can be substituted), or you can use flour made into a roux.

Tabasco sauce to taste

Worcestershire sauce to taste

Fresh Chives, finely chopped

In a stock pot over low heat, add the salt pork and render the fat. Remove the salt pork. Add the butter, lobster oil (or olive oil), onions, savory, bay leaves, carrots, and celery. Cook until softened but not browned. Add the potatoes and enough fish stock or chicken broth to cover the potatoes, about 2 quarts. Cook on medium/high heat to simmering until the potatoes are soft but not mushy.

Season with salt and pepper, and add the evaporated milk. Bring to a light simmer.

Add the fish, and simmer about 10-15 minutes at most.

In the meantime, either make a roux with flour and oil, or combine the potato starch (or arrowroot) with COLD half and half in a separate bowl. If you are using roux instead of potato starch, add the half and half to the pot.

Stir in the thickener, and return to a rapid simmer while stirring. The chowder will thicken upon simmering.

Adjust seasoning, and add the Tabasco and Worcestershire Sauce.

Serve sprinkled with the chopped chives.

If the chowder is not going to be used at this time, put the pot in an ice bath and bring down the temperature as fast as possible. A block of ice in a double plastic bag immersed in the chowder will also help cool it quickly.

Do not cover the pot in the refrigerator until the chowder is completely cooled.

Makes about 6 quarts.

:p

2 bay leaves in his, whereas your chowder looks like you left the pot sitting, uncovered, underneath the bay leaf tree, in late October. :D

"A Bay leaf in every ladle".

Wife picked up a few new cooks books, and that usually results in a disaster. :laugh:She's on a vegan kick now, to reduce our "meat" consumption. When she says this I usually tell her "I gotz ur meat right here" (in my best brooklyn) and grab my package. :shock: .

I feel your pain. Donna went gluten free to try and get a handle on some health issues related to her thyroid. It's helping her, but I haven't baked bread in a few months.

SIM: I made that chowder with the fish I borught home that day. It was esxcellent. I doubled it and used 4 bay leaves.

Burgers tonight. I'm picking up a serious amount of beef and that will be the easiest to thaw. Not much will happen here until T-day. I'm working, then taking a group of kids from school surf fishing Wednesday afternoon/evening. I'll roll in late, brine he bird, and then get up super early to move everything to my MIL's for cooking.