Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrooklynBridger

What Rod Would You Use for These Specs???

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Looking for advice:

I have a VS 150. I mostly throw 1.5 to 2 oz (Yet occasionally throw .5 to 2.5 oz.) I can do a one or two piece rod. I mostly fish jetty, but sometimes open beach.

What rod would you buy if you could???

Thanks for contributing...

Mark

Dont know if you would like a custom but if so look at the seeker csw858 (8 1/2') or csw 1008 10'. the 1008 wouldnt be great fo 1/2 oz. These are both composite but not h used and heavy and they are both tough enough to be used and beat on jetty

When fishing on a jetty, is your gear getting beat up or do you baby it? In my mind jetty fishing involves slipping, falling, using a rod as a walking stick, generally getting beat up and my gear getting beat up too. For some people I know, fishing a jetty is no more hazardous than fishing from a beach chair.

If you're style fits into the first category, I'd start my search with a Lami 1083M - 9 feet of time-tested fiberglass than can take any reasonable amount of abuse you can throw at it, with a soft enough tip to throw 1 oz. effectively, and a butt section that could lob a brick or turn a big fish in heavy current without exploding on you.

If you fit into the latter category, I'm sure there'll be plenty of recommendations forthcoming...

Lamiglas 121-3M. Cut six inches off the butt. Same basic idea as Eebs, but this stick will lift a thrashing ten pound bluefish for you. Saves climbing down into the suds for all but the really big stuff .;)

If you do it, be sure to get the honey colored blank. Might as well flaunt it. :D

Century Sling Shot 1145(9'6") or 1265(10'6") Both feather light, extremely strong, capable of very long casts and will get you the range you are looking for. And, won't beat you up when you cast them.

US Century Distributor

Mike, I don't doubt the Century is "extremely strong" in a pure tensile strength sense, but when I hear those words coupled with "feather light" a little alarm goes off in my head as I recall countless stories and experiences of super high modulus composites and cutting-edge resin combinations exploding on users after only a small nick to the surface or without any warning at all (the sort of incidents that led to the nickname Lamiblast).

As a British import, I'm also a little concerned about the style of fishing and conditions the rods were presumably designed for, or at least the prevailing fishing cultural norms the design philosophy is based on. From what I've been told and gathered, saltwater "coarse" fishing in GB is seldom little more than casting practice and lacking sizable or plentiful inshore gamefish the focus is almost purely on equipment capabilities rather than practical or versatile usage. Similarly, the large carp fishing contingent can't be subjecting their gear to many hazards as they aspire to toss dough balls 150 yards, certainly nothing approaching the hazards a New England surf fisherman faces crawling on a slippery rock jetty in the dark with heavy seas.

So, can you speak to the durability of the Century? Is this a rod I can drop, step on, use as a wading staff, scratch, even chip without risking catastrophic failure? Have they been subjected to this sort of abuse, abuse that jetty fishing commonly inflicts?

Mike, I don't doubt the Century is "extremely strong" in a pure tensile strength sense, but when I hear those words coupled with "feather light" a little alarm goes off in my head as I recall countless stories and experiences of super high modulus composites and cutting-edge resin combinations exploding on users after only a small nick to the surface or without any warning at all (the sort of incidents that led to the nickname Lamiblast).

As a British import, I'm also a little concerned about the style of fishing and conditions the rods were presumably designed for, or at least the prevailing fishing cultural norms the design philosophy is based on. From what I've been told and gathered, saltwater "coarse" fishing in GB is seldom little more than casting practice and lacking sizable or plentiful inshore gamefish the focus is almost purely on equipment capabilities rather than practical or versatile usage. Similarly, the large carp fishing contingent can't be subjecting their gear to many hazards as they aspire to toss dough balls 150 yards, certainly nothing approaching the hazards a New England surf fisherman faces crawling on a slippery rock jetty in the dark with heavy seas.

So, can you speak to the durability of the Century? Is this a rod I can drop, step on, use as a wading staff, scratch, even chip without risking catastrophic failure? Have they been subjected to this sort of abuse, abuse that jetty fishing commonly inflicts?

I don't own one, i opted for the Temple Fork 10'6" 2-8 rod, but I can assure you these rods can take the abuse. Many canal fisherman have made the jump to century, and some of these guys definitely don't baby their gear. The rod has been tested on big fish, strong currents, falling bikes, slips on rocks, and haven't heard of anything but positive reviews from those i know who fish them at the CCC.

EB -- We designed the Sling Shot series, not Century. We(myself and Ryan White from Hatteras Jacks) designed these blanks for the East Coast fisherman. Along with the Sling Shot series, we have used and abused the other Century blanks up and down the East Coast and the Pacific Coast of Mexico. This past August the Century SP,FMJ,FMA, TT LDSM(all carp rods) and Sling Shot 144L and M were put through extremely abusive conditions against extremely strong fish. I am here to tell you that a 30lb Jack will drown a 60lb striper if tied tale to tale. All blanks handled big jacks and roosterfish with flying colors. Long casts without beating you up. All the power in the world to put the coals to a big fish. Gary Soldati of Big Water Plugs put a 51lb bass on the rocks in Rhode Island in very snotty conditions. He could not climb far enough down the rocks to grab the bass so he used his Century SPOD to pull it up the rocks. We have been beating up the Century C3 at the Point in Hatteras throwing 6-10oz and big baits for years catching big drum with no issue. While we currently do not have a line of blanks designed for jetty fishing, I think our product has proven it's durability and dependability with under 10 breaks over the past 5 years out of approximately 1500 blanks. As the North American Distributors before we put any blank on themarket we fish it very hard to see what it will hold up to. When we are convinced it will work in our fishing conditions we then add it to our line. We do have 3 blanks coming out this Spring designed for jetty fishing. They will be single pc, extremely durable. They will be designed specifically for the abuse jetty fishing dishes out. You are welcome to ask around about Century and see what anyone else has to say.

Simply put, yes they can hold up to what you can dish out. :)

US Century Distributor

Thanks for the responses so far. While I fish jetty, I am careful with my gear. Thus I am in favor of castability and performance over brute toughness.

On the upcoming Century jetty sticks, may I ask what will be done differently to make them more jetty friendly?

Mark

Our new jetty sticks will have more fiberglass scrim blended to an extremely high modulous carbon that is very tough and very light. It's a material that is extremely hard to work with but Century has figured out it's properties to create some amazing blanks. I don't think anyone in the industry has figured out how to work with it. Hoping to have prototypes soon so we can abuse the hell out of them for the next 4 months or so. If they pass the test then they will be in production for the Spring shows.

US Century Distributor