Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Lami question

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I am thinking of getting a Lamiglas rod dedicated to fishing with Bombers. I have an XSRA 1083 but it just doesn't do what I need it to do. Do you guys think the 1081L blank will load better and give me better distance with Bombers?

Next question, does Lami make a factory rod on the 1081L blank?

Thanks in advance.

I think it depends what size bombers you are talking about. For the 5", the 1081L is fine, but for the 6" or 7", I would go with the 1081M. With the L, you limit yourself to the small stuff to some extent. Lets say you are working the beach at day break and see a school of bait and want to whip a nice 2 oz treble snag, you will hesitate leaning into it and may not reach because of it. Conversly, the M is more versitle in that you can throw both larger size bombers (much better too IMO) as well as snap on a big treble or popper or needlefish as the conditions dictate. Better to be a little heavy than a little light.....just my opinion.

I am looking for something to toss the smaller stuff. My 1083 Arra handles 1 1/4 oz up fine but for those 7/8 oz lures I need something that loads better at that weight range. Maybe my solution would be a reel that casts better than my Saragosa 5000?

Guys were fishing the beach this morning and winging little bombers a long way. I am wondering if they were loaded. They squashed fish and I picked away. Not complaining but not up to par for the Spig.

I am looking for something to toss the smaller stuff. My 1083 Arra handles 1 1/4 oz up fine but for those 7/8 oz lures I need something that loads better at that weight range. Maybe my solution would be a reel that casts better than my Saragosa 5000?

Guys were fishing the beach this morning and winging little bombers a long way. I am wondering if they were loaded. They squashed fish and I picked away. Not complaining but not up to par for the Spig.

Ahhh, all little bombers. Thats a different story. Based on what you are saying, I'd bet a song they were loaded plugs. Before you change anything else, I would try loading some of your own first.

I have tried many different methods and here is what I found worked best: Get some #8 shot and a grain / oz scale. Take a few of your favorite little bombers, mount them upsize down in a vice and drill a hole (between the 1st and 2nd hooks, not on the "seam") just big enough to fit the shot through (3/32" diameter bit for #8's, but sometimes I use 7/64" to make it easier). Add weight of your choice to each drilled plug.... for #8 lead shot, 1/4 oz ~110 pellets, 3/8 oz ~160 pellets, 1/2 oz ~ 215 pellets, 5/8 oz ~ 270 pellets. Or you can just use the scale to add whatever you want. Seal the hole with hot glue.

Head back to your spot and try again. Its cheaper and more effective than changing rod / reels. I never leave the house without at least 2 loaded plugs in my bag. Also, the difference between loaded and unloaded applies to any rod / reel so you won't be wasting anything by loading a few.

Just my 2 cents.... Good luck.

Ahhh, all little bombers. Thats a different story. Based on what you are saying, I'd bet a song they were loaded plugs. Before you change anything else, I would try loading some of your own first.

I have tried many different methods and here is what I found worked best: Get some #8 shot and a grain / oz scale. Take a few of your favorite little bombers, mount them upsize down in a vice and drill a hole (between the 1st and 2nd hooks, not on the "seam") just big enough to fit the shot through (3/32" diameter bit for #8's, but sometimes I use 7/64" to make it easier). Add weight of your choice to each drilled plug.... for #8 lead shot, 1/4 oz ~110 pellets, 3/8 oz ~160 pellets, 1/2 oz ~ 215 pellets, 5/8 oz ~ 270 pellets. Or you can just use the scale to add whatever you want. Seal the hole with hot glue.

Head back to your spot and try again. Its cheaper and more effective than changing rod / reels. I never leave the house without at least 2 loaded plugs in my bag. Also, the difference between loaded and unloaded applies to any rod / reel so you won't be wasting anything by loading a few.

Just my 2 cents.... Good luck.

SC, it's ironic but I was toying with that very idea. How would that effect the way the plug works both in its swimming action and the depth it runs at. Actually, if sandeels are the bait, I think they should work a bit better because they may get down to where sandeels live.

Now I have a project to keep me busy while I am recovering from today's oral surgery.

BTW, where you one of those guys who I was watching catch fish constantly yesterday morning while I only picked away. You're from the right area.

Thanks for the advice. You saved me a lot of money.

SC, it's ironic but I was toying with that very idea. How would that effect the way the plug works both in its swimming action and the depth it runs at. Actually, if sandeels are the bait, I think they should work a bit better because they may get down to where sandeels live.

Now I have a project to keep me busy while I am recovering from today's oral surgery.

BTW, where you one of those guys who I was watching catch fish constantly yesterday morning while I only picked away. You're from the right area.

Spig do you play golf.... I found a good way to load bombers and fool around with the way they wiggle I use lead tape the kind that golfers use to change the swing weight... you can experiment with different locations on the bomber and maybe add another . you should be able to find them at a golf shop good luck

Spig, I wasn't on the water yesterday, needed a break. No problem no the idea. I learned loading from some old timers and have no issues passing it on, that's what this site is all about!

I've loaded plugs with everything from water, to oil, to BBs. Lead works best b/c it wont leak, and it wont rust; all problems I encountered with other materials. As far as the action goes, changing the weight DEFINATELY changes the plugs action. When watching from above, the plugs do not appear to swim as well BUT, given certain conditions, they catch anyway. And when the fish get on the loaded plug, for some reason you can't catch em with anything else.... so I cant boldly say that loading worsens the action. Catching is catching regarddless of how a plug "looks" to you and I, right?

I have never tried the tape idea that sole man speaks of, but that may be worth a shot too if you feel like experimenting.

Getting back to what Dave said, a Batson or Saber 1087 is the ideal blank for throwing everything from small Mambos and Bombers up to 2 1/2 oz needles and darters. I've got a custom 1087 and it is probably the most versatile rod that I own.

Getting back to what Dave said, a Batson or Saber 1087 is the ideal blank for throwing everything from small Mambos and Bombers up to 2 1/2 oz needles and darters. I've got a custom 1087 and it is probably the most versatile rod that I own.

Is that 1087 a Batson or Saber? I live in Marlton. Could we set up a meet so that I can take a look at the rod?