Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oneofour

Want to melt 50lbs of lead

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I know some of you gentlemen are well experienced with melting lead which is why I am posting here.

I have 50lbs of lead ingots that I acquired a few years ago and next week I will be bottom fishing for the first time and I would like to cast 8 and up oz bank sinkers. I plan on getting the molds for those sinkers but I was wondering if there was a method I could utilize to melt the lead to pour the larger sinkers without having to purchase a melting pot. Thank you.

At leadfest we use a turkey fryer burner and a cast iron pot.;)

Casting sinkers in that weight range should be a two person hand poured.

Make sure you heat up the molds prior to pouring. Best way to heat the molds up is split the mold in half pour lead in both sides, once lead has harden,repeat once more. Do not put the solidified lead back in the pot as it will cool the pot down.

I saw someone mention that in a previous thread, I was wondering how you would go about heating this? also could a smaller cheaper priced pot be used?

Do not sweat into the molten lead. :shock:

Absolutely correct. The tiniest drop of water will cause an explosion. :scared:

wear a heavy jacket, gloves a hat, goggles and something over your face. I was there when a piece of lead with a drop of water was put in the pot. My friend Terrence was spattered head to toe. Luckily, he had the sense to be wearing all the above and wasn't injured.

I saw someone mention that in a previous thread, I was wondering how you would go about heating this? also could a smaller cheaper priced pot be used?

You may burn out the bottom of a cheaper pot, or worse have the bottom collapse on the burner. Try goodwill or consignment shops for cheap cast iron dutch

ovens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by borntafish View Post

At leadfest we use a turkey fryer burner and a cast iron pot.wink.gif

Casting sinkers in that weight range should be a two person hand poured.

Make sure you heat up the molds prior to pouring. Best way to heat the molds up is split the mold in half pour lead in both sides, once lead has harden,repeat once more. Do not put the solidified lead back in the pot as it will cool the pot down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPSmanMatt View Post

Do not sweat into the molten lead. icon24.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie View Post

Absolutely correct. The tiniest drop of water will cause an explosion. cwm31.gif

wear a heavy jacket, gloves a hat, goggles and something over your face. I was there when a piece of lead with a drop of water was put in the pot. My friend Terrence was spattered head to toe. Luckily, he had the sense to be wearing all the above and wasn't injured.

Listen to these guys!   They are all experienced leadfesters, and have seen firsthand what can go wrong when playing with molten metals. Some bullet casting sites refer to is as the "tinsel fairy", but it's scary and potentially deadly. This is not a project to embark on lightly, it's seriously dangerous stuff.

Get someone to show you the ropes. A few sinkers, hell, even a hundred sinkers, aren't worth getting hurt over.

Now just because I posted this, tonight I'll wear my face shield, I made myself nervous.

Listen to these guys!   They are all experienced leadfesters, and have seen firsthand what can go wrong when playing with molten metals. Some bullet casting sites refer to is as the "tinsel fairy", but it's scary and potentially deadly. This is not a project to embark on lightly, it's seriously dangerous stuff.

Get someone to show you the ropes. A few sinkers, hell, even a hundred sinkers, aren't worth getting hurt over.

Now just because I posted this, tonight I'll wear my face shield, I made myself nervous.

yesterday I worked out a deal with one of pricise's friends who melts lead and we poured a ton of sinkers including the lead that I had and now I dont have to worry about getting a deep fryer....doesnt mean I wont look into better things :) I had a good time doing it, it would be fun to explore options other than just sinkers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oneofour View Post

yesterday I worked out a deal with one of pricise's friends who melts lead and we poured a ton of sinkers including the lead that I had and now I dont have to worry about getting a deep fryer....doesnt mean I wont look into better things smile.gif I had a good time doing it, it would be fun to explore options other than just sinkers

That's great you met up with someone with experience. highfive.gif

Look at the do-it molds, see one you like, PM me to see if I have it and I'll loan it to you. Let me know if there's any way I can help you. 

I melted  down about 100 lbs last night, and I was wearing my face shield, damn glad I did, because like I predicted, as soon as I stuck my wet ladle into it, it spattered, and now I need to grab a new lens for it from work. 

Absolutely correct. The tiniest drop of water will cause an explosion. :scared:

Damn, give me a beer and I'll stand on the other side of where ever it is your sinkering.