Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishRatz

Hook cutters...always keep them handy

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I am sure there are plenty of accidental hook stories on this forum. Here's another:

Today my dog & I had a new experience. She jumped up at me holding a 4" Sebile lure I was inspecting and got hooked big time through the nostrils. Treble hooks, 2 sides set deep into her nose! I was close to my wire/dike cutters and pinned her down and snipped off the hook shaft before she was snagged with the flailing 2nd set of hooks. It could have been much worse.

A short trip to the Vet ER in Buzz Bay, she was sedated and hooks were safely removed.

I will never be fishing, or working with lures, without cutters handy!

And my very smart Border Collie, 'Windy', now knows a new phrase: "NO HOOKY".

She was a trooper and is now doing well.

Meanwhile, the freshwater catch has been great this week!

Windy.JPG

Glad shes OK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heres my little tip; make sure your pliers/cutters work, sacrafice a hook just to be sure. It will surprise you how many so called "fishing pliers" will fail to cut a hook or worse yet, break in your hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow nice save. I always am careful to keep my room with all my fishing stuff closed as I couldn't imagine my dog getting into something. I'm sure that quick thinking really helped you Both out in the long run.

Any brands of cutters that have proven reliable? That'll cut through VMC 4x strong hooks? :shock: I should invest in a pair for next season, consider it a minor miracle that I haven't hooked myself in 25 years of SW fishing. :huh: It's just a matter of time. :hooked:

-bd

I carry a pair of BOLT CUTTERS in my bag. Ordinary pliers/cutters won't cut those heavy hooks. This is the voice of experience.

Sorry about the dog. I hope that she gets better. C2

Wow! My gut just sank when I read the first part of that thread. My pup jumped up and grabbed a jig once, I threw down my rig to come to his rescue and a wave came in and washed my whole rig out into the surf but I cut the line and then got the hook out. hooking the pup hurt more than losing my rig! Glad it turned out ok in the end for you and hope your nerves get a good nights rest!;)

When I was a teenager I was waiting for a boil, shaking the lure behind my back. I saw the boil, casted with all my might and a cat hooked in the paw flew over my head. Scared the crapp out of me. It was yowling like mad. I tryed to pin him down but could not hold him still. I then cut the line and cat hobbled away on 3 legs. Don't think he licked that one out.

Glad shes OK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heres my little tip; make sure your pliers/cutters work, sacrafice a hook just to be sure. It will surprise you how many so called "fishing pliers" will fail to cut a hook or worse yet, break in your hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too speak of experience to make sure you have a premium pair of cutting pliers. and test them. Many years ago, I had one of the treble hooks of a 1.5 oz rebel beyond the barb in my thumb one night and the pair of cheap wire cutters I had in the tackle box broke when my friend tried to cut the hook. Next stop was Hyannis hospital and the doc in the e-room came out with a large pair of bolt cutters but had no idea how to use the bolt cutters.,so my firend and I showed the doc how to use them

When I was a teenager I was waiting for a boil, shaking the lure behind my back. I saw the boil, casted with all my might and a cat hooked in the paw flew over my head. Scared the crapp out of me. It was yowling like mad. I tryed to pin him down but could not hold him still. I then cut the line and cat hobbled away on 3 legs. Don't think he licked that one out.

I hope the cat was ok.............

I carry a pair of BOLT CUTTERS in my bag. Ordinary pliers/cutters won't cut those heavy hooks. This is the voice of experience.

Sorry about the dog. I hope that she gets better. C2

I could not agree more on this. It can even happen with small hooks too. in my experience some pliers/cutters wont even cut some 2x hooks. The problem is that some modern hooks (especially japanese ones) are made of steel that is harder than the jaws of many pliers. No matter how hard you try the blades just bend around the hook wire. The cutters may as well be made of rubber.

Bolt cutters work because jaws are so much harder than the hook.

I never go fishing without a pair of knipex cutters in my bag.

Cheers - Lurch