Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jay Blair

Best / Worst Freshwater gear this year

26 posts in this topic

This is kind of a duplicate threat because there is already one on the Main Board, but it is dominated by salt water gear.

Fresh water gear this year.

Good Stuff:

:th: Simms waders - So far so good- they have held up well. kept me dry and comfortable. I am tough on waders and do a fair amout of brush busting to get to spots that others don't usually fish.

:th:# 832 IMX G. Loomis rods - Great stream and river trout and smallmouth rod

:th:# 4000 FI Stradic Spinning Reel - One of the best reels I have ever purchased for the money

:th:# 2500 FE Sustain Spinning Reel - One sweet and powerful little reel

:th::Lucky Craft Pointer Minnows - Great Crank Bait/Jerk Bait - I have said enough about these lures already

Stuff that Dissapointed me:

:thdwn: Power Pro Braid - I usually love this stuff, but I had a number of mysterious break-offs this year

:thdwn: Humpback Pointer minnows- They don't suspend like they are supposed to and have little or no action to them

:thdwn: Very Small Storm Swim Shads - Most were unbalanced and did not swim right

:thdwn: Field & Stream Spinners- Looked like a heavier duty version of the Rooster Tails, but they did not spin

:thdwn: Red Treble replacement hooks: various brands - Too soft and did not hold a good point or their sharpness.

:thdwn: Gitzit and Coffee Tubes - Good tubes, but the YUM and ZOOM tubes out fished them 3 or 4 to one

Good thread! I'll certainly keep adding to this. You hit most of my Yea's and Nay's.

Samurai Braid by Daiwa - definitely a :th:

Abu Garcia Veritas rods - another :th:

Shimano Curado 50 series - :th: Awesome reels!

Keitech Swimbaits and Jigs - my absolute go-to, they always catch fish for me! Another :th:

I also give the smaller Storm Kickin' Minnows a :thdwn: they just didn't swim right.

Good:

St Croix Legend Tournament with a Curado 200E7. Greatest light presentation rod ever, especially for smallies.

Orvis Slingpack. Greatest idea ever for wading rivers for smallies or trout.

Sufix 832. Love it for spinnerbaits and throwing heavy jigs. Some hate, I love it.

War Eagle spinnerbaits. Greatest spinnerbaits Ive ever used and they are extremely durable

Ill add my iphone, because for once it lets me get good pictures of my fish :D

Bad:

I cant really think of any because I research the heck out of everything I buy before I get it

Oops: forgot a bad one. P-Line Flouroclear. Got a kink in it and broke by the pull of my hand on 12 lb line. Happened twice and I trashed it. Switched to P-Line CX and Ive loved it.

Koofy - which Legend Tournament are you using? I've been looking at those rods. They do look pretty stellar.

Even though Ive only had it for this year, they already changed the specs around on all their LT rods, so Ill have to go check for you.

Heres the specs. It was under their "teaser" title when they still had it.

7' Medium Power

Fast Action

10-17 lb line

1/4-5/8 oz.

That matched with the Curado weighs roughly 12 ounces

Koofy, that's the next legend tournament that I'm about to buy. I think they call it the Plastics rod now, and the newer one is 7'1". I can't complain at all about the legend tournaments, I own many of them. Without question some of the best rods I've ever fished. I can't wait to try out the newer models too, they look awesome.

Edit:

Ooops :p typed that on my phone :D damn autocorrect

Koofy,

I guess TF wants you to have a new handle - Kooky :D

Reminds me of some of my Maryland friends and their political proclivities.:confused:

Sorry for the diversion. It has been a long week! :(

Time to do some fishing and get right again. ;)

Heres the specs. It was under their "teaser" title when they still had it.

7' Medium Power

Fast Action

10-17 lb line

1/4-5/8 oz.

That matched with the Curado weighs roughly 12 ounces

Awesome, thanks!

I didnt get any rods or reels this past year but if I see a good deal on crankbaits I get them.

Without a doubt the worse lire I bought this past uear was the cordell Big o. These smaller version of the real thing were horrible. First problem was the lips. Very thin design they didnt last long with the way I fish crankbaits. Secomd problem was once I got them tuned to a decent pattern they never stayed that way. Seemed like every 10 or fifteen cast I had to make another tweak to get them to swim right again.

Bomber again out preformed any other crankbait in my bag this year. Coming in a close second was the strike king red eye shad and then yamamoto spider grubs.