Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pigskin

Trout jigging combo

8 posts in this topic

Light and very flexible. Spool with 4 - 6 lb line and have at it. They will fling a jig plenty far enough. I use shorter stuff. My 6 1/2 St. Croix triumph does a fine job.

I would think that you would want a rod the was long and light so you could cast jigs or work your jigs under a float. A light action steel head rod rated to cast very light lures would probably work well for your jigs, jigs and floats, and other very small trout lures. A very light trout or panfish rod would also work and in either case you may need to use some very light line if you want to go with the 1/32 and 1/64 oz. jigs.

A very good winter and early spring stategy. In the winter you often find trout stacked up in the slower deeper holes and that is when ultra-light jig fishing really shines. Early season stocked trout that have yet to adapt to rigors of stream/river conditions tend to stack up in the same areas.

Very small super soft plastic bug and crayfish imitations mounted on tiny jig heads can be deadly this time of year.