Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chunk

Where In The US Would You Want To Steelhead Fish

17 posts in this topic

S Fk Salmon River, Main Salmon (Riggins-Corn Creek), Main Salmon - Hell's Canyon......not sure if it's the best fishery but Idaho is a great place to be. Lot's of water ............jet boat required to reach many otherwise inaccessible locations.

Sol Duc river in Washington State's Olympic Penninsula. I love those rivers, the Hoh, Clearwater, Calawah and Queets. Most of these rivers start in the Olympic National Park. I have not yet fished the Sol Duc But I intend to this winter!

Santa cruz river patagonia, argentina. The just seem to have the biggest runs of most every trout/salmon species. My chances of going there are actually pretty good. My wife is from Peru and says the military has cheap charter planes down there.

Hey Chunk......I'm very lucky to live here in Washington, only about 10 minutes from fishing in the Skykomish River......it's part of the Snohomish drainage area that empties into Puget Sound north of Everett.  Thought you may like to peruse some of publisher Frank Amato's books on salmon and steelhead fishing which may give you a better idea of the kind of geography and scenery you'd like to combine with large-fish steelhead fishing.  I'll look over my collection of books and try to get back to you on this.  From what I hear, guides may cost $175-200/day.........most either have drift boats or jet sleds......Then there's the decision of winter run or summer run fish.......or even going for kings in the big water of the Columbia River while your out here.......A consideration during the winter here may be to locate yourself so that you have a choice of rivers to go to on shorter notice which may offer a significant difference in their reaction to our frequent winter rains which can push a river out of shape pretty fast(some rivers recover much quicker than others, etc......guides will often run multiple rivers)...........no doubt, you'll have a boatload of memories whether it be Idaho, Oregon, or Washington.......as a side note, I'd be interested in your revo toro 51 and 61 if still around, rsvp pls...........  PS. the guys in BC have been using floats and pink worms successfully for a long time and we here in WA are picking up on this more and more.....if you've ever fished for bluegills with a red and white clip on bobber..well it's about the same technique......rods from 9 - 13 feet will serve you best in order to mend your line.....you're in for a good time no matter where you go Chunk.........and one last thing, since the Heddon tadpolly(plug) is no longer being produced, it looks like Lindy has introduced a great substitute(or exact mold copy) with their River Rocker which fishes well in swifter currents many western rivers are known for.......Brad's Wiggler is also a big lure here, too......and if surf casting uses kwikfish or flatfish, you may be familiar with wrapping on sardine fillets on the belly of the plug which add great scent attraction..........you can get all the cured roe you need when you get to your destination........all the best......Trey

Ok Chunk.....

One good investment for you to consider would be a river shed map book for WA OR ID put out by Frank Amato Publishing.   not only do you get a read on major rivers in each state, ie. the Cowlitz here in WA or the Rogue in OR, but you can check out lesser fished tributaries to these rivers from the Amato books.......hope this helps........Trey

Santa cruz river patagonia, argentina. The just seem to have the biggest runs of most every trout/salmon species. My chances of going there are actually pretty good. My wife is from Peru and says the military has cheap charter planes down there.

I think the OP Asked in the USA!! :beatin: