Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
y2k33j

Fish Identification.

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I was cleaning out the freezer and found a trash bag stuffed in the back with a fish in it I caught this summer. I was out tuna fishing in August out of the saco river in Maine and with no luck with the tuna we decided to try cod/haddock fishing on tantas ledge. We were in somewhere between 200 and 250 feet of water if my memory serves me right. We were catching cod then I hooked into this fish in the picture. At first I thought it was a haddock because of the color but when I got it in the boat I did not recognize it. We did not have a camera so we decided to keep it and figure out what it was. Well when I got home from the trip I was so exhausted I threw it in the back of the freezer and forgot about it until now. It looks somewhat similar to a haddock silver with a lateral line but the head and mouth don't fit for a haddock. It also has a set of small teeth all the way around the jaw. I tried looking online but could not find anything that resembled it. [img=

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2489513/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

Its a Whiting...used to very common here in NJ, they dragged em to near extinction. Still a fishery on the GOM

I think you might be right, but am I wrong in thinking that's pretty big for a whiting?

Its funny when I look up whiting it does not look the same. When I looked up pacific whiting it looks almost exact. Funny thing is I guess I caught a pacific whiting in the atlantic. I am not sure how big whiting get but this one was about 18 inches.

Silver hake (whiting, the fish in the photo) are in the same genus as haddock. They are in the merluccid hake family. The fatter, slimier, eel-tailed hakes (red hake) are in a seperate family, the phycid hake family. Wow, if I only could remember stuff that actually mattered......

It is a whiting.....the reason you don't see many that big anymore is because they got fished so hard...........

Sooo....

I'm right in thinking that's a pretty big whiting, yes?

I think you might be right, but am I wrong in thinking that's pretty big for a whiting?

I too used to live in Jersey as a kid back in the 70's and used to fish on a fleet out of Belmar(sp) for these fish...and we caught plenty of larger ones like that - if memory serves me correctly, we used to call the bigger ones 'baseball bats'...we basically used the same high/low rigs as people use for cod/haddock. Since I've lived in MA, I think I only caught one little 12" feller...LOL

Btw, from what I understand, there used to be strong run of 'frost fish' (aka whiting/silver hake) during the colder months in RI, perhaps near Newport (????)...However, that was before my time here in New England and I think it's pretty much a dead fishery now....The only MA whiting I see now are in pics posted here of whiting taken out of a cleaned striper caught from the canal (makes me wonder why people don't catch the whiting directly there)

Interesting...

A bit sad, but interesting.

The only whiting I've ever caught were the ones I dragged up while scalloping about 10 years ago and they were always in the sub 10-inch range. Never seen one much bigger than that, so that's why I was curious about how big they actually run.

Kinda sad there aren't really any larger ones around anymore, but I guess that's par for the course as far as pretty much any fishery goes these days. :(

I too used to live in Jersey as a kid back in the 70's and used to fish on a fleet out of Belmar(sp) for these fish...and we caught plenty of larger ones like that - if memory serves me correctly, we used to call the bigger ones 'baseball bats'...we basically used the same high/low rigs as people use for cod/haddock. Since I've lived in MA, I think I only caught one little 12" feller...LOL

Btw, from what I understand, there used to be strong run of 'frost fish' (aka whiting/silver hake) during the colder months in RI, perhaps near Newport (????)...However, that was before my time here in New England and I think it's pretty much a dead fishery now....The only MA whiting I see now are in pics posted here of whiting taken out of a cleaned striper caught from the canal (makes me wonder why people don't catch the whiting directly there)

I have caught a few over the years in my canal lobster pots....they were not as big as the one pictured though and I did manage a couple of small ones on a sabiki rig a couple of june's ago........