Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charlie2

Umbrella Rigs for Freshwater

51 posts in this topic

What is the general opinion regarding of the 'New Alabama Rigs'? Which are really Umbrella Rigs. One bass tournament was won using one.

They aren't new by any means, being used in saltwater for trolling to emulate a school of bait fish to attract fish. I can't remember when they first became popular but it's been 40-50 years, at least.

The rigs, as used in freshwater, consist of plastic shad bodies. You have to literally lob them out as they are poorly suited for casting. They are meat rigs, pure and simple.

As long as they are legal, use them, but it kinda sticks in my craw to call it 'sport' fishing. JMHO.C2

If they are such a miracle lure that catches fish so easily it's not even a challenge...how come only one tournament has been won on it?

Yea one major tournament but what about all the lower tournament levels? There has been definitely more than one win and probably a good amount of cash taken using this dumb ass rig.

If they are such a miracle lure that catches fish so easily it's not even a challenge...how come only one tournament has been won on it?

It works just like every other lure works at times.

You don't just throw this lure out and catch fish, it is designed to catch fish in certain situations. Paul was using it on suspended bass and he wasn't using it alone he had he sound machine on as well.

I bough 2 of them to check out I will probably throw them around for a bit but most likely will go back to my confidence baits.

Not only one tournament has been won on it many have it's just that that was the last FLW tournament event taking place and all other Pro Tournaments were over.

You will see a lot more of it this year.

I hear ya last two posters.

Point of my post was to address the ethics question raised. Picture being painted is that fish just jump in your boat with this rig tucked under a fin. I haven't fished it, but I highly doubt it turns the table so dramatically. As far as I know, there's never been a lure created that guys elect to leave home because it's TOO good, and takes all the fun and challenge out of fishing.

As mentioned on another thread though, I'll fish them and report results.

I've always felt that fishing "lures" could be lumped into 2 categories: Actual fishing lures and fishing gadgets. Fishing lures catch fish, fishing gadgets catch fishermen. The Alabama rig is a fishing gadget. Sure it might catch some fish, but it will be soon forgotten for the next fishing fad.

If you look at any of the antique fishing lure books you will see some classic shapes and styles that have survived over 100 years and are still around in modern form. The gadgets are there by the hundreds, and some of them quite goofy.

Remember the ads in the back of fishing magazines that always showed some new wonder lure that was supposedly outlawed in many states?

Quote:

Originally Posted by clambellies View Post

I've always felt that fishing "lures" could be lumped into 2 categories: Actual fishing lures and fishing gadgets. Fishing lures catch fish, fishing gadgets catch fishermen. The Alabama rig is a fishing gadget. Sure it might catch some fish, but it will be soon forgotten for the next fishing fad.

If you look at any of the antique fishing lure books you will see some classic shapes and styles that have survived over 100 years and are still around in modern form. The gadgets are there by the hundreds, and some of them quite goofy.

Remember the ads in the back of fishing magazines that always showed some new wonder lure that was supposedly outlawed in many states?

Ya those ads work though,  every couple years my grandmother gets me one of the new "banned" lures cause she sees the ad saying "its too good"  Some are actually not that bad, I forget the name of it, but she got me this multi jointed one before that had some sick action and caught quite a few nice largies

I bought one and used it on 3 separate occasions. 2 of the trips we found schooling fish close to the surface. My buddy was throwing a weighted fluke and I was throwing the chandelier aka Alabama rig. I hooked one striper in the 5lb range and he came unbuttoned while my friend caught 3 that day throwing to the same fish. What fight I did get from it sucked and after watching him hook up a few times I began robbing rigged flukes off of the A-rig and tying them on to do some real fishing. Now it's a forgotten waste of $20 sitting in some compartment in the big boat. Been there tried it didn't like it.

What is the general opinion regarding of the 'New Alabama Rigs'? Which are really Umbrella Rigs. One bass tournament was won using one.

They aren't new by any means, being used in saltwater for trolling to emulate a school of bait fish to attract fish. I can't remember when they first became popular but it's been 40-50 years, at least.

The rigs, as used in freshwater, consist of plastic shad bodies. You have to literally lob them out as they are poorly suited for casting. They are meat rigs, pure and simple.

As long as they are legal, use them, but it kinda sticks in my craw to call it 'sport' fishing. JMHO.C2

looks like everybody is using them now. I don't think it should be allow in a tournament. not my kind of fishing for sure.

mtk