Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfstryker

My New Ride!

31 posts in this topic

Proud new owner of this bad boy! My first truck and it has the off road package and towing package, 5.3L V8. Love it already.

Couple of questions. If I do decide to use on the beach (I go to OBX every year and fish on LBI regulary) are there any good tips to try and keep the truck in tip top shape after taking it on the beach? I'm 100% new to this other than driving a rental jeep on the beach back in 09 in the OBX, had no problems and didn't get stuck at all.

Also is it worth taking on the beach or am I going to be paying big time for it? Thanks for any and all help everyone!

Congrats!

I got my '95 Ford Ranger used in 1996. I took it on the beach from 1996 through 2009. I was pretty diligent in washing the truck after going on the beach, especially on days with lots of salt spray. I also gave the undercarriage a post-drive rinse. As I recall, the undercarriage had been rustproofed by the original owner. One of my leaf-spring brackets broke in 2008, but I couldn't conclude it was from the beach use. I got rid of the truck in fall '09...it had 196k miles on it, but needed 4k worth of work. Two weeks ago, my wife was startled to see it come driving back down my street, so I guess it's still going... :(

Thanks guys! So is rust protection on the undercarriage a need or is the undercarriage already built to prevent corrosion? Also, a thorough washdown after each use would be done.

Would love to see a pic of the Tacoma on Assateague!

Proud new owner of this bad boy! My first truck and it has the off road package and towing package, 5.3L V8. Love it already.

Couple of questions. If I do decide to use on the beach (I go to OBX every year and fish on LBI regulary) are there any good tips to try and keep the truck in tip top shape after taking it on the beach? I'm 100% new to this other than driving a rental jeep on the beach back in 09 in the OBX, had no problems and didn't get stuck at all.

Also is it worth taking on the beach or am I going to be paying big time for it? Thanks for any and all help everyone!

looks good, those black trucks always look nice at the dealership, there just so hard to keep clean, good luck, chevy trucks are great,

Great looking new ride! If I were you I would tint the front windows to match the back and remove the red zr stickers. I'm short so I would probably add some black tubular steps and some new weather tech floor mats to protect the interior. See I can easily spend your money:) Also add auto start for the winter and rhino line the bed. As far as the beach just hit the car wash after every outing and keep a good coat of wax on that black paint. Good luck and enjoy.

Surfstryker

As promised here is a picture of my Tacoma on Assateague Island at the start of the Striper Tournament this weekend. Its got everything I need except for a front receiver which I will get this spring. It does great in the sand and must be good luck because I caught striper as soon as the tournament started. ;););)

Have you had a chance to get out on the sand in your new ride. Hope so beacuse its a sharp looking truck. Springman is right about the Weathertec floor mats - saved a bunch of time cleaning up after my trip. Good luck.

Springman, thanks for the tips, currently its got a bed liner, auto start, and the rubber all weather floor mats, I also plan on getting the front windows tinted in the next week or so. I think I'm definitely going to look into the steps in the near future.

Rich the truck looks great, glad you were catching as well! Haven't had a chance to get out on the sand yet but that might change this Friday if I can get to the shore. So far I'm loving the truck.

Just wash it off after your o the beach and don't forget the underside as well. Yeah black is great WHEN ITS CLEAN but pain in the :moon: lol... My 09 'r HEMI ;)gOOD Luck ...450

Congratulations on the new truck! It's beautiful.

Before you spend your bucks on tubular steps, determine what it will do to your ground clearance.

In my case, I removed steps from both sides of my E-350, because they KILLED my ground clearance.

(Admitedly, the passenger-side step was very long!)

They LOOKED great, they even made it easier to enter/exit ....but they are history now.

(I swapped them for a trailer-hitch that I never use.)

Are you going to put a cap on the back?

AMMO

I can tell you it took 8 years of beach driving without ever washing or rinsing underneath for the sub frame to rust out on my Toyota. Sand is tough on brake rotors also, then again,comparing daily use against once in a while is different worlds. Sometimes, I leave my tires at 15 psi for weeks. i'm the perfect example of being lazy until it catches up, then I have to pay.

Bottom line, take care of it or pay later.

thanks for all the info guys. I was actually wondering about the clearance and the step bars, so I'll be sure to check that out before I do anything.

dont think its gonna hit the sand though until spring as I dont have a permit yet and i dont plan on buying one for just a few more trips to LBI.

Martin that dodge looks great!

Are you going to put a cap on the back?

AMMO

dont think so, probably just a soft trifold tonneau cover

surfstryker - here are some ground clearance figures your can think about. Disclaimer: My measurements are from a Ford F-150, and I believe your Silverado is a 1500; if so, they are about the same size. Sure there will be differences, but I believe they would be minor. FWIW, both your truck and mine are black. ;)

NB: My truck has 18" wheels with LT275/65R18 tires. I THINK yours is similarly equipped.

Anyway, to the ground clearance numbers:

1- Rear differential (pumpkin) = 8"

2- Frame cross members (transmission support) = 9.0"

3- Lowest point of the front suspension (A-frame) = 8.25"

Step bars (running boards for us old guys :D ) on my truck have a minimum ground clearance of 11.75". I have a frame -mounted cooler rack that has 14.75" minimum ground clearance.

IMHO, the step bar is a personal preference thing. If you are young and spry, same a few $ and go without. If you have more grey hairs than dark or have a Mrs and/or young-uns, then the step bar works wonders for marital harmony and impending aching joint relief. As a bonus, stamping your feet, shoes, boots on the step bar before getting in the truck ensures that the sand stays on the beach and not on the floor of the truck.

I mean no disrespect to Ammo, but, in my case, the step bar/running board is not an issue for ground clearance. Sounds like I would need a step ladder to get in a tree-fiddy!

I have two comments about washing the underside; one is a personal experience and the other one is just something that I had thought about (and don’t do) because of the first.

1. Gas Tank  This may still be worth consideration by those of us that have SUVs that they plan to keep for a long time but, maybe it’s not an issue regarding pickups:  I had really wanted to take care of my first SUV that I had bought new.  I would faithfully hose the undercarriage really, really, well after every trip.  Evidently, I had been getting water onto the top of the gas tank where it was retained in “wells” of the contour design.  After about nine years, a gasoline leak developed because the top of the tank rusted through.

2. Nature’s Power Washing  Some drive through puddles of rain water—and the faster: the better.  I guess my realizing that there are places where one wouldn’t want to have water, led me to wonder if this method might lead to salt and sand in places where one shouldn’t want these.

headscratch.gif