Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vardpet

Daiwa Emblem pro reels

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

There are two different types of Daiwa Emblem Pro reels, 1st one on Daiwa's website, it's black reel. 2nd type is older version of Daiwa Emblem pro which is grey-silver reel with wider spool. Which one provides longer casting distance?

There are two different types of Daiwa Emblem Pro reels, 1st one on Daiwa's website, it's black reel. 2nd type is older version of Daiwa Emblem pro which is grey-silver reel with wider spool. Which one provides longer casting distance?

the 2nd type, has the wider spool, so I'm told,

I'm going to say that based purely on theory the designs of the two spools each potentially lend themselves to better casting performance depending on the other components of the system - mainly the guide arrangement and line being used.

Neither smaller spools nor larger spools necessarily cast better than the other. There are 2 big factors in play which somewhat cancel out each other: spool lip friction and coil size. When a large spool empties line it exposes the lip of the spool at a slower rate than a small spool because it holds more line per wrap. Therefore, the friction generated by the line impacting and being dragged over the spool lip is generally less on a large spool than a small spool, giving it an advantage in casting distance.

However, a large spool also throws out larger coils of line which must be controlled and quieted by the guides. These larger coils will create more friction and drag as they impact the guides than small coils and more friction equates to lost distance.

So you have 2 factors that negate each other and to what extent one wins-out of the other and creates a significant advantage in casting depends, largely, on the rest of the system...line and guide configuration.

A light, supple, limp line with a small diameter takes up less space on the spool,so the friction issue inherent to small diameter spools will be less of a problem since the spool will empty slower. The same line will also lend itself to being controlled by the guides more easily, even if coming off a large spool in big helical coils.

A stiff or heavy line on the same large spool might be a total disaster as the big coils smash into the small guides and resist being straightened-out. That heavy thick line may work better with large guides and a small spool that throws small coils that can be gradually choked down by the large guides. At the same time though, the heavy thick line and small spool combine to rapidly expose the spool's lip creating friction.

So......its not quite as simple as "which one casts farther" ;) and I'd bet you could easily come up with a line/guide combination that would cast better with one reel and another combination that would cast better with the other reel.

So......its not quite as simple as "which one casts farther" ;) and I'd bet you could easily come up with a line/guide combination that would cast better with one reel and another combination that would cast better with the other reel.

I think that's right.

One thing I can say for sure is the new Emblem Pro A, with 30# Braid, on a 10'6 2 to 6 oz Mojo....easily out throws the Older Emblem, at least for me.

On a 4 to 6 oz Airwave with COF guides they seem to be about equal.

I'm not sure if you can even get the Older Model anymore....new that is.

I think that's right.

One thing I can say for sure is the new Emblem Pro A, with 30# Braid, on a 10'6 2 to 6 oz Mojo....easily out throws the Older Emblem, at least for me.

On a 4 to 6 oz Airwave with COF guides they seem to be about equal.

I'm not sure if you can even get the Older Model anymore....new that is.

it comes with two spools which one are you using?

it comes with two spools which one are you using?

On my old model I use the shallower spool with 30# and the deeper has 50# I think there both labeled 5500.

On the Pro A I have the 30# on the 5500 spool and 50# on the deeper one that's labeled 6000.

Big Game Braid all around.

The spools are identical on each reel as far as lip diameter, just the depth changes as far as I can tell.

The two Old model spools have a much larger diameter than the Pro A's, though.

Maybe the more important conversation about the older vs the newer Emblem reels is the durability. I have a couple of the older Emblems, and while I like the casting distance, I do baby them. They are not too rugged, and I've read in several places on this site that the newer black Emblem reels are much more flimsy. I've heard of guys ruining them by fishing 4 oz jigs in the Canal.

Maybe the more important conversation about the older vs the newer Emblem reels is the durability. I have a couple of the older Emblems, and while I like the casting distance, I do baby them. They are not too rugged, and I've read in several places on this site that the newer black Emblem reels are much more flimsy. I've heard of guys ruining them by fishing 4 oz jigs in the Canal.

Build quality is certainly not their strong point and your right the newer ones are no better.

I'm going to say that based purely on theory the designs of the two spools each potentially lend themselves to better casting performance depending on the other components of the system - mainly the guide arrangement and line being used.

Neither smaller spools nor larger spools necessarily cast better than the other. There are 2 big factors in play which somewhat cancel out each other: spool lip friction and coil size. When a large spool empties line it exposes the lip of the spool at a slower rate than a small spool because it holds more line per wrap. Therefore, the friction generated by the line impacting and being dragged over the spool lip is generally less on a large spool than a small spool, giving it an advantage in casting distance.

However, a large spool also throws out larger coils of line which must be controlled and quieted by the guides. These larger coils will create more friction and drag as they impact the guides than small coils and more friction equates to lost distance.

So you have 2 factors that negate each other and to what extent one wins-out of the other and creates a significant advantage in casting depends, largely, on the rest of the system...line and guide configuration.

A light, supple, limp line with a small diameter takes up less space on the spool,so the friction issue inherent to small diameter spools will be less of a problem since the spool will empty slower. The same line will also lend itself to being controlled by the guides more easily, even if coming off a large spool in big helical coils.

A stiff or heavy line on the same large spool might be a total disaster as the big coils smash into the small guides and resist being straightened-out. That heavy thick line may work better with large guides and a small spool that throws small coils that can be gradually choked down by the large guides. At the same time though, the heavy thick line and small spool combine to rapidly expose the spool's lip creating friction.

Very well said :th:

not to confuse the issue but they, Daiwa, are also releasing the emblem shot. same design as the current black model but with a faster retrieve rate and silver cosmetics.

Interesting...didn't know that.

Just looked it up, was hoping the retrieve speed was a significant increase....doesn't look it, just a 1/2 inch a crank by their numbers.

where does my emblem x come in to play? How old is that one? Is is old ok quality or newer so so quality?

Thanks,

RR

The X was the first emblem if I remember correctly and introduced around 1998 or 99 . Back then it was about $120 and a upper mid level priced reel . There weren't many reels over $200 back then .

The only complaint I remember back then was some guys said the upper bushings that the main shaft pasted thru wore out and this created wobble in spool and shaft.

The X was the first emblem if I remember correctly and introduced around 1998 or 99 . Back then it was about $120 and a upper mid level priced reel . There weren't many reels over $200 back then .

The only complaint I remember back then was some guys said the upper bushings that the main shaft pasted thru wore out and this created wobble in spool and shaft.

Sounds about right. I just got mine back from daiwa. They fixed all those things you mentioned. $34 and I fixed for now.

Thanks,

RR