Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonFrum

Strange Mass hunting regs

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I was just looking at the waterfowl regulations, and noticed that you can take ducks with a falcon, but not on Sunday. What's up with that? Is there a falcon sabbath? :confused:

I was just looking at the waterfowl regulations, and noticed that you can take ducks with a falcon, but not on Sunday. What's up with that? Is there a falcon sabbath? :confused:

No hunting on Sunday :mad:

Only 7 states remain where you cannot hunt on Sunday. Unfortunately we will never see Hunting on Sunday in Mass. Imagine if they didnt allow fishing on Sunday? both involve the pursuit and killing of a natural resource ;)

I think it's a last remnant from the Puritan days, when you couldn't do much of anything on Sunday legally except go to church. The blue laws were sort of a modern day version of that.

-bd

makes it safe to walk in the woods with your family one day a week..:p

With the exception of the shotgun deer season which I agree is crazy in some areas, I think there's probably a better chance of being killed in a fatal car "accident" on the way to the trail than being accidentally shot by a hunter. :p

Atleast the state should legalize Sunday hunting on private property and any public land purchased and maintained with funds generated by the hunters.

And to keep this thread on topic:

In Mass it is illegal to use a high caliber centerfire rifle for deer but it is legal to use one for coyote during daylight hours. :D

I can not tell you how many times I have had so called hunters... come through my back yard riffles in hand.

Real sportsman find deep woods to hunt Yahoos not so much .

If you can find deep woods in Massachusetts you area true sportsman.

If your property is not properly posted, and the so called hunters are 500' away from your house, and 150' from the road, then those "yahoo's" carrying "rifles" are in the full compliance with the law. Well except the rifles of course. But they are most likely shotguns.

These "yahoos" most likely do not have rifles in hand if you are speaking about this state since we do not have a rifle season. They are coming close to houses because that is where a lot of the deer bed down. Small pieces of property hold giant deer in these parts. Too many houses; its tough to find "deep"woods. So many people freek out and think they know what they are talking about and start harassing hunters about how close to there houses they are when in reality they are in compliance with the 500 ft law.

Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed hunting but the small town mass hunting is not what it was when I was younger , I grew up in Hopkington and the back roads were back roads back then . today they are all built up with houses like most towns in mass. One of the things I enjoyed about hunting was to be out away from other hunters/people and enjoy the peace and wildness of the woods , and that is why I travel to western mass for my hunting . too many hunters that stumble onto peoples land use the old ( Well I have been hunting here all my life) excuse. posted or not ... just saying

I understand what you mean. Its becoming more of a hassle to be in the woods around here in the last few years. I'd like to move some day either up north into some big woods or even anywhere not as built up as Mass. Maybe the midwest or some nice property down south.

Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed hunting but the small town mass hunting is not what it was when I was younger , I grew up in Hopkington and the back roads were back roads back then . today they are all built up with houses like most towns in mass. One of the things I enjoyed about hunting was to be out away from other hunters/people and enjoy the peace and wildness of the woods , and that is why I travel to western mass for my hunting . too many hunters that stumble onto peoples land use the old ( Well I have been hunting here all my life) excuse. posted or not ... just saying

Yep, changes here in Hoptown in the past 20 years have been pretty major. But there's still no Micky D's ;).

-bd

I have lived and hunted in Hopkinton for 27 years. The neighborhoods you see now with the McMansions were my old hunting spots. It is really sad to see the expansion and suburban sprawl.

Yes. It is built up. But like bdowning said....... there still is no Micky D's!!! And from a zoning standpoint, there never will be.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesCruiser View Post

20 years ago 90% of the hunters used to come out this way for shotgun season. Now, I feel like I should be heading east. That's where all the deer are.  biggrin.gif