Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarrylZ

Looking for feedback: Crew cab compact pickups

60 posts in this topic

Hi folks...Doing some research for my next truck, and I'd really like to get back to having a pickup. I used to have a '95 Ford Ranger Supercab, but now with kids of 10 and 6, a crew cab is in order.

I've been looking at the GMC Canyon 4x4 w/ Z71 off-road package, but saw some unfavorable comments regarding build quality :huh: and crash test results. Specifically, the reviews pointed to the Tacoma and Frontier as better options. I'd love another Ford Ranger, but they never made it in a crew cab and have nixed the line here. Shame on you Ford! :mad:

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with any of these trucks...for good or bad? If I get to the point where I follow-through on this, the truck will be used for highway commuting, 4x4 beach use, and towing a 3,000 lb trailer (boat).

I'd love to get into a full-size, but that's just not prudent. Thanks in advance for comments. :D

i find it hard to belive that there is any better small truck than the tacoma. the build quality is #1 the ride is great on and off the sand and the 4 door has lots of room in the back seat. the trd sport has an available 6ft bed with the crew cab. i have towed my 5000lb boat with mine and it was fine even though i only get 10.5mpg with the boat . i get 17-20mpg without the boat.

Thanks guys...I'm a Ford guy, but I bought a Nissan Altima for commuting 2 years ago...and perhaps I wind up a Toyota Tacoma guy down the road. The more I research, the more I see value in the Tacoma.

After having owned nothing but Generous Motors trucks since 1977, I purchased my first Toyota a few months ago.

Althougth I personally had no use for the CC, I got the access cab instead. With kids of that age tho the CC would be the only way to go. I keep asking myself why did I wait so long...LOL

Never again will I buy a Generous Motors product.

I have a 2010 Tacoma. Got it about 1.5 years ago and it has been very good to me so far. Love everything about the truck. I really do not use the 'crew cab' portion all that much but its there in case I need it I guess.

Hmmm...This is starting off as a landslide so far... Thanks for the feedback! I just realized that the Tacoma comes with a 6' bed option with the crew cab...which is wonderful!

Hmmm...This is starting off as a landslide so far... Thanks for the feedback! I just realized that the Tacoma comes with a 6' bed option with the crew cab...which is wonderful!

And the longer WB makes for a better ride, properly equipped this truck will perform the tasks you've described.

I used to be all about buy-union, but my 2011 was built here and that is more than i can say for my last 3 Chebys.

Another vote for the Tacoma. I have a 2010 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4. Very happy with it. In fact it's my second Tacoma. The new generation Tacoma's have a very refined ride compared to the older one's. You would not be sorry if you go Toyota IMO.

my neighbor just bought a 2012 toyota sr5 4x4 access cab, sold his old toyota, a 07 same model, had 40k miles on it, got a cool 21k for it, bought his new truck for 27k, one thing about toyota's is they do hold there value, makes me think that the tundra I keep looking at is worth it in the long run,

The Colorado/Canyon combo is pretty much the worst truck on the market, worse than even the Ranger which wasn't designed long after the Model T it seems. The Ranger is dead this year, Ford stopped investing in that product a long time back. The V6 powered F150 will fill the budget truck space for Ford.

The Frontier and Tacoma pretty much own this (shrinking) segment at this point. GM and Ford are about to abandon it. GM does have a new version of the Colorado, but they haven't said for sure it would make it to US shores as far as I know. Last I heard Dodge was looking at going to a unibody with the Dakota (think El Camino), possibly using their minvan platform. Dodge also has been pushing lightly equipped Rams at a mid size price point.

I owned a current generation Frontier for several years (I now own an XTerra, which is built on the Frontier/Titan/Pathfinder/Armada shared platform). My dad is a die hard Tacoma guy. He's owned 5 or 6 now since the early 80's. I've driven his truck a number of times.

I find it to be a toss-up. Toyotas cost a bit more and have a bit better resale. Their reputation for quality is better, although the Frontier isn't bad and I have had solid reliability from my Frontier and now my Xterra. Conversely you can get a Frontier for less, if you're price sensitive. Both drive well. Both are good off road. Similar space. My dad's Tacos have been reliable other than he breaks leaf springs from time to time. He's not nice to it. I'm not nice to mine either! I do maintain mine, though. He's a bit more lax. Hasn't been a problem.