Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugeDinghy

you management?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

mokes I have doubts that you have staff under you :squid:

Meh....I do all the managing. I just don't have a bunch of chicks in cubicles to oversee. :p Thankfully, we hire self-starters, so babysitting is not required too much. If it is....well..they get the axe. ;)

i was thinking more like, "hello this is x tree service, how may i take your order?"

and nextel to the truck to tell them where to go....

LOL.....

"Hello? Yes? Okay....the big green tree near the house? No problem!!"

"Badooloop!! Hey guys....can you go to this address and cut the big tree down that is green and near a house? Great!!! Price? I have no idea...what..you want me to LOOK at the job too??!!"

"Sound effect brought to you by Sprint..."

dont downplay the cubicle snatch, its powerful....

serious mokes, what do you do for the company (if you are comfortable posting that type of info) ?

I started as a worker. Climbed for a while, but I hate heights. I mean...HATE. Became the rope guy for the owner doing scary trees. We were a good team. I moved into helping with sales calls as we are a very busy company. That turned into scheduling all the work and that turned into handling all the billing and receiving. That turned into me basically running the whole business, lol. Coming from the Corporate world....it's helped me in running a small business.

I take the calls, see the jobs, set up the jobs, setup the crews days, show up on jobs and yell if needed, yadda, yadda. (We have a great crew, so yelling is a rarity) I expect the crew leader to handle things, but if there are issues, I have to step in. It can get a lot more complicated than you would think. Everything rides on me pricing these jobs right and making sure I have looked each job over carefully so we don't have any surprises or overtime since the prices are set. If I suck...we don't work. You can go from profit to loss quick in this business if you screw up a quote.

I'm a goof here, but when I work, I'm probably not as fun, lol. I take it pretty serious. We have a great name and reputation. I intend on maintaining that.

This last storm has produced HUNDREDS of calls. I'm booking estimates into December right now, lol. It's pretty nuts.

indispensable even, nice bud....good money in that tree business (ask me how I know.... its either I know someone or I paid out of the ass for some tree work)...

indispensable even, nice bud....good money in that tree business (ask me how I know.... its either I know someone or I paid out of the ass for some tree work)...

Well....everyone is expendable, but that's life. You make your own future. What's scaring me a little is hiring people. The 20 somethings we are seeing......not good. I mean..not even CLOSE to okay. We have a big problem with these young men entering the workforce today if you ask me. It's not just us either...it's across a lot of outdoor/construction type jobs that are seeing it. Today's youth doesn't seem to be very interested in working hard or learning a trade. Parents better start raising some tougher boys real quick or we're screwed. We'll 80 trying to cut our own trees down, lol.