Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
muskyslayer96

What wood for smaller swimmers?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey fellas,

I'm going to try and make some smaller stuff this year (3.5-4.5" & .75" diameter). I tried to make some surfsters and surface / sub-surface swimmers out of some scrap cherry I had laying around, with litte success (too heavy with hardware). Here is a pic.....

I'm going to try a smaller hook and a smaller aluminum lip to see if it will work better. I also have some Basswood in the same dimensions for turning, will that work better?

For all you guys who build smaller stuff, I'm interested in your thoughts. thanks in advance for you help. I hope the fall is treating everyone well and all are getting the shops ready for building season to start ;)

MS450

I recently did a test batch of 6" swimmers out of red cedar. They are lighter than Styrofoam...been difficult to get them heavy enough for my rods...the wood would've been better suited for what your looking to do I think..here's a pic on the scale...sorry from the phone camera but as you can see even after weighting only getting close to 1/2 ounce...450

Hi MS,

Imvho just changing to a less dense wood will make a big difference.

I tried a couple of small surfsters (about 4") using light pine.

Hardware was size 1 2x owner trebles and the smallest commercial surfster lip.

There was plenty of bouyancy in the pine to keep them on top and lively with a slow retrieve.

Making a better surfster is on my "to do" list for the winter, so I am interested how yours turn out ...

Cheers - Lurch

AYC and white cedar are what I use on smaller plugs. Depends on what plug I am making. The white is a little lighter. I know others who used basswood a lot for freshwater plugs. CCBC used white cedar on sursters.

Jigman

I know people preach against it but I like working with poplar. the darker wood is a little more dense than the lighter sapwood but the grain is very cosistant. I would also be interested in a trade for 4 or 5 inch swimmer. Nice work. TWJ