Back from OBX

Rate this topic

ghost

Spent last week in Rodanthe NC, arriving Saturday afternoon and leaving the following Saturday morning. Fished every day and some nights, noticed I say fished because there was no catching. I fished from Rodanthe to Hatteras with stops at Avon, Buxton and Frisco. The east facing beaches were full of weeds probably due to the constant NE and NW west winds and the more southern facing beaches were less weedy very crowded and again no fish. I saw three undersized trout caught in the six days I fished. For bait I used everything available mullet (fresh) , bunker, squid and some lures and plugs.

Visited all the local tackle shops and to their credit they were honest, in reporting poor fishing basically everywhere. Great people, friendly , trying to help but when the fish aren't cooperating there is not much they can do except offer their best suggestions.

The northern towns of Rodanthe and Avon were hit pretty hard by the storms this fall with lots of damage and debris everwhere. When we arrived there were no less then 6-8 earth moving machines working along Rt 12 just to keep the road open with both sand and water wash outs in several places. My heart goes out to the people, most of the local businesses are closed and a major cleanup is underway.

Still I had a great vacation, lots of rest, long beach walks and met some great people.