Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe G

Striper-fishing restrictions put on hold

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Stocks seemed much healthier last time the reg.'s were tightened (I'm talking the 80's). Why the foot dragging, now that it is so evident that the problem is back and worse than ever? I am of the opinion that we need a slot.

:idea: Don't kill the babies, don't kill the breeders, and 1 fish a day. :th:

They are waiting until the 2013 stock assessment to decide if to put it out to public comment; I'm not even sure that means they would consider a catch reduction until that process is over. :dismay:

That decision came down on November 8th.

According to todays edition of the Cape Cod Times, the ASMFC is holding back on new protective measures despite evidence the fish are in decline.

Can you post a copy of the whole article please???????????

Thanks

i think if they were to do anything i think they would just regulate the catch limit per/day or they should just increase the size limit on recreational/commercial season bass.. i remember b4 the herring ban was put in effect they did both and the limit was up to 34" on rec bass.. i dont really like to take fish that are on the 28" mark im more of a 30"+ kind of guy. i did hear they were trying to increase the $$$$$ of the saltwater license to the same price as freshwater? did any1 else hear of this ridiculous sham to take more of or money that they do nothing with as far as conservation goes in mass?:confused:

I wouldn't care if it was 1 at 36" but in many shore fishing locations outside of the canal the fish run smaller and having a 28" limit gives folks a chance to get a keeper for the table once in a while's.........maybe one at 28"............

Once again, science has spoken. All is well in striper land.:dismay:

Apparently the scientific community never heard the term "err on the side of caution".

Apparently those people never fished in the early 80's either. :dismay:

Those that don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Either that or a whole lot of money is streaming in from big commercial interests because they sure as hell don't listen to us low life rec guys.

Apparently those people never fished in the early 80's either. :dismay:

Those that don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Either that or a whole lot of money is streaming in from big commercial interests because they sure as hell don't listen to us low life rec guys.

When it comes to dealing with biologists and fisheries people I learned the hard way. We howled at the moon for years telling them the hering fishery has declining, and in spite of it, they all told us our evidence was anecdotal, and not based in science as their's. But when you think about it, it's certain not in their best interest to say a wildly popular fishery such as the striped bass is in decline b/c that would mean they were asleep at the switch, and simply not doing their job.