Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RCrowley

Are Manufacturing Jobs the Key for the US Middle Class?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

Each day advances in manufacturing are eliminating people filled manufacturing positions. The decline of positions due to technology has been happening since the peak of manufacturing positions post WWII.

Manufacturing positions worldwide are steadily being eliminated and I certainly don't see a real, sustained, guaranteed sector of employment in manufacturing.

(pssst even China is losing manufacturing to due to technology as we speak)

No it's not as that time has passed.

What many people fail to remember or realize is that our manufacturing glory days were only really allowed to be that way due to the massive destruction in Europe during WWII.

Other then the USA, European countries were for the most part the only other nations on the planet that had real industry to speak of, and with much of their capability reduced to rubble we became the worlds only option for mass produced goods.

Since we didn't have any competition, we were able to get away with paying our factory workers high wages....but it couldn't stay that way forever.

As Europe started to get their act back together, we started to have some actual competition again and methods were looked at to reduce costs in a serious way and that way wound up being automation in order to save on labor costs.

Manufacturing companies have always sought ways to take the "man" out of the equation.

Men make costly mistakes, get sick, take lunch breaks, go on vacation, quit without giving notice etc....you don't have that problem with machines, not to mention the costs of keeping them healthy.

In an ideal world for a manufacturer, the owner would control his factory from his laptop with the only people on the payroll being his maintenace mechanics to keep the machinery running.

The days of unskilled workers standing at a machine all day long and making what would be considered a good living are over.

they are a great way to transition from a lower class to a middle class....

good pay for uneducated people allows them to provide more for their kids,

and the next generation can do better.

doesn't have to be manufacturing per say,

but in the past those were the types of jobs that paid well for someone lacking a degree.

it also means they are earning a wage, paying taxes and buying stuff,

which is all good for the economy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk View Post

The days of unskilled workers standing at a machine all day long and making what would be considered a good living are over.

why?

because American hating Corporations concerned with their bonus can move those jobs over seas and pay a lot less?

they are a great way to transition from a lower class to a middle class....

good pay for uneducated people allows them to provide more for their kids,

and the next generation can do better.

doesn't have to be manufacturing per say,

but in the past those were the types of jobs that paid well for someone lacking a degree.

it also means they are earning a wage, paying taxes and buying stuff,

which is all good for the economy.

And they're gone and they're not coming back.

Today if an unskilled and uneducated guy wants to earn good money he needs to get involved in a trade. Mechanic, technician, plumber, electrician, pipefitter, welder, construction...something. Because he's not going to make a bloody fortune standing on a production line....... or maybe getting an education might be an option. The days of dropping out of high school and going to work at "the mill" like Dad are over. Things change. People get used to it. That's life.

why?

because American hating Corporations concerned with their bonus can move those jobs over seas and pay a lot less?

OK... even if that WAS the reason, what the hell are YOU going to do about it other than complain? It's not YOUR business, so how are you going to make them do what YOU want them to do?

It's not only the key for the middle class, manufacturing and/or production of tangible stuff (mining, agriculture) is the foundation of a sound economy.

Namely, making stuff that people want to buy, at a reasonable price, and EXPORTING IT.  Not just any goods, mind you - I'm not talking about rubber dog doo.

If you look at all the comparatively healthy economies right now (e.g., Germany) - they have strong product exports.   The upsides of having a manufacturing economy outweigh the downsides - yes, manufacturing economies tend to be more volatile vs. service economies, but manufacturing economies also tend not to rack up huge current account deficits that need to be financed by the net importing government.

What a crappy state of affairs our economy is right now - our biggest export is inflation, courtesy of the Federal Reserve and Wall Street and US Government policies.

why?

No, because we are no longer the only game in town.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Williams View Post

OK... even if that WAS the reason, what the hell are YOU going to do about it other than complain? It's not YOUR business, so how are you going to make them do what YOU want them to do?

So there is no idle complaining in this forum anymore?

bottom line though, a LOT of people are waking up to the bill of goods that Reagan sold them,

and the subsequent "Service Economy" that the right wing was touting....

People are feeling the effects in their wallets, and change is coming........

OWS is just the beginning of the civil unrest that will begin once people realize that a small Percentage of Americans sold the rest down the river to China,

for a few extra dollars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk View Post

No, because we are no longer the only game in town.

true,

however the American Consumer was a highly sought after target,

and by allowing predatory nations like China have access to our shelves,

we slit our own throats,

we traded long term security for short term savings on consumer products.

So there is no idle complaining in this forum anymore?

bottom line though, a LOT of people are waking up to the bill of goods that Reagan sold them,

and the subsequent "Service Economy" that the right wing was touting....

People are feeling the effects in their wallets, and change is coming........

OWS is just the beginning of the civil unrest that will begin once people realize that a small Percentage of Americans sold the rest down the river to China,

for a few extra dollars.

I just wanted to confirm that it was just the PMS (Poor Me Syndrome) doing the talking and not some demand for change. Carry on.

Quote:

I just wanted to confirm that it was just the PMS (Poor Me Syndrome) doing the talking and not some demand for change. Carry on.

bigeyes.gif

Dude, personally I'm doing well,

and my kid is in the honors program of a good college and he will most likely be OK as well.

I've never once been forced to contemplate changes in my life to keep my head above water.....

But if the American Economy tanks because more and more people are unemployed,

and there is a lack of decent jobs....

then we are ALL going down

(except the 1%... they will be fine in their gated communities paying Blackwater Guards to patrol)

in fact a BAD US economy is good for the 1%, it means they can get more servants for less.

:bigeyes:

Dude, personally I'm doing well,

and my kid is in the honors program of a good college and he will most likely be OK as well.

I've never once been forced to contemplate changes in my life to keep my head above water.....

But if the American Economy tanks because more and more people are unemployed,

and there is a lack of decent jobs....

then we are ALL going down

(except the 1%... they will be fine in their gated communities paying Blackwater Guards to patrol)

in fact a BAD US economy is good for the 1%, it means they can get more servants for less.

You're doing swell but you still complain. Okeedokee. Must be your FEAR of having to contemplate changes since you think we will ALL be going down.

Fear. It's a terrible thing.

Quote:

You're doing swell but you still complain. Okeedokee. Must be your FEAR of having to contemplate changes since you think we will ALL be going down.

Fear. It's a terrible thing.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,

I thought this was a discussion about the HEALTH of the Middle Class and the impact of the loss of good paying jobs....

I guess all roads lead to Rome,

where Rome is just you and Huey taking shots at anyone who doesn't march to the GOP drummer.