Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moiwiz

Need help choosing a bottom fishing rod!

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I am looking for a good conventional rod for bottom fishing cod, sea bass, and blackfish. Needs to be able to handle at least 16oz of lead. Please any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I am looking for a good conventional rod for bottom fishing cod, sea bass, and blackfish. Needs to be able to handle at least 16oz of lead. Please any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Look into some of the Seeker blanks, very tough, and if you need specifics about the Hercules series pm Billy 40 or Surfmaster 250.

Thought I would jump on this thread as I have a similar question.  I'm not sure if this is even possible, but looking for a multipurpose rod to match with an Avet SX reel.  I would use it mainly for striper fishing - soaking bait, live lining and jigging, but I would also like to be able to use it for heavier fluke fishing or tautog.  I am willing to sacrifice a bit for versatility, but I don't want to comprise too much.  I would consider custom or "off the shelf" but I am on a bit of a budget.  Based on some research, I was looking at the Seeker SHS/GTS70L.  Any thoughts?

UglyStik Tiger BWC/AO2202 7 footer rated for 30-60 lb line. Aluminum oxide guides, can handle a 20 ounce cod jig, casts poppers well, and costs about sixty bucks. ;)

UglyStik Tiger BWC/AO2202 7 footer rated for 30-60 lb line. Aluminum oxide guides, can handle a 20 ounce cod jig, casts poppers well, and costs about sixty bucks. ;)

I'm looking for a cod rod for short money... Can it handle the 20oz jig well? or just barely?

Worked okay for me. 16s were no problem at all. The rod bends, but it would take a real beast to break it. Hey, it's an UglyStik. If you just want to jig, they came out with some serious jigging sticks last year. I'll let a real boat guy try a 20 off a bridge Saturday and let you know. ;)

Folks - thanks for feedback. Helpful but still unsure of the way to go.

Billy 40,

I was talking to the folks at Seeker and they told me reach out to about selecting a new rod.  Following up on my previous post -mostly striper fishing in 15-50 ft of water with bait or live lining and occasionally jigging.  I would also like to use it for other fishing if possible - heavy fluke or tautog. On a bit of a budget but is the Seeker SHS/GTS 70L the way to go or are there different/cheaper options (I have yet to find this model in person so going by recommendations)?  If I go with the Seeker, is the model and would you recommend the custom route?  Would appreciate any feedback from you or anyone else.  Thanks.

Sorry for taking so long ot get back to you, I just got to my e-mails now. IMO the Inshore Lite is the way to go, but you could certainly go with a CSW 708. I do have a couple of pre0built customs which I was selling for $435, cork grips, diamond wraps, Fuji SIC guides, and diamond wraps, which I'm selling for $300.

Do all rod that costs 259 dollars and has a no question asked full exchange warranty it will go from blackfish to blues to stripers to cod to tuna hands down the best rod i used for diversity and that is the SHIMANO TEREZ 6.6 XXH

i had a friend that used a tuna stroker on a cod trip once.  he had such great success on tuna he thought it was no miss, he did catch a lot of fish but at the end of the trip he had half as many as his 2 friends.   any rod that i would use for cod would be3 too stiff for the other two. i actually use my fluke rig for sea bass, a med  striper rod for blacks and a 7' very stiff jigging rod for cod