Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ORourke

Is anyone familiar with a St. Croix Mojo Surf rod?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I just bought the 10'6 MH and I really don't know a lot about the guide system but I was casting with it today.  I saw the first guide from the reel is in opposite direction when I compared it to the rest of the guides.  Now I did a search online, saw some videos and pictures and each time I saw that first guide from the reel was in the opposite direction from all other guides, just like my rod has.

I would like some more info from someone who knows more just to make sure that it is the correct direction and is there any particular reason for this method?  Any help would be much appreciated ted and thank you in advanced.

I just bought the 10'6 MH and I really don't know a lot about the guide system but I was casting with it today.  I saw the first guide from the reel is in opposite direction when I compared it to the rest of the guides.  Now I did a search online, saw some videos and pictures and each time I saw that first guide from the reel was in the opposite direction from all other guides, just like my rod has.

I would like some more info from someone who knows more just to make sure that it is the correct direction and is there any particular reason for this method?  Any help would be much appreciated ted and thank you in advanced.

That's the way it is supposed to be...It's the low rider style..

Fuji designed its lowriders guides that way - and the guides St. Croix uses are a knock-off of the Fuji guides. The "backwards" collector guide is to prevent loops of line from overrunning (flying past the guide instead of going through it) and wrapping themselves around the rear guide legs causing a knot or break off. Additionally, the single foot facing the reel can prevent knots that form at the reel from wedging themselves in the "V" formed where normal guide feet attach to the circular ring frame.

Fuji designed its lowriders guides that way - and the guides St. Croix uses are a knock-off of the Fuji guides. The "backwards" collector guide is to prevent loops of line from overrunning (flying past the guide instead of going through it) and wrapping themselves around the rear guide legs causing a knot or break off. Additionally, the single foot facing the reel can prevent knots that form at the reel from wedging themselves in the "V" formed where normal guide feet attach to the circular ring frame.

Wow, very impressed with your restraint, i would bet your sitting there grinding your teeth with buckets of sweat pouring off your forehead just dying to let loose on (your favorite rod and setup of all time) kidding . Your baby daughter looks to have made you an even more impressive,and more tolerant EB. And you were tolerant already,now that's really impressive.:wave::th::th:

Wait until the world gets to see how good your daughters going to be

If you want to learn more about Fuji's Lowrider guide system and components i would recommend putting those words into the search box because there is a wealth of information. Good luck and enjoy your new rod:):)

I think the guy who put it together was Drunk!! :beers::laugh:

Give that guy a break

I'd like to see you put a rod together after eating 10lbs of bluefin sashimi, washed down with a 6 pack of Sapporo and a couple of bottles of warm sake

:p

Give that guy a break

I'd like to see you put a rod together after eating 10lbs of bluefin sashimi, washed down with a 6 pack of Sapporo and a couple of bottles of warm sake

Now that sounds like a party! :beers:

Give that guy a break

Is that what they eat in Mexico?

Give that guy a break

Is that what they eat in Mexico?

Probably not, but they had to get the idea of the guide layout from the Japanese folks at Fuji, and they were most assuredly drunk as skunks.

If it makes you feel any better, tamales and tequila will do a number on a fella too.